Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A Cautionary Tale

So I thought it would be a good idea this weekend to put a "little kick" into my chicken and dumpling soup that I make on the Egg.  I dropped two dehydrated ghost peppers in the mix that I grew in the garden last year.  Two peppers can't do too much harm, right?

Well...the SWMBO wouldn't touch it.  I had two bowls.  She's sleeping peacefully.  I am not.  My colon has formed its own government and seceded from the rest of me.  
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,148
    Dude... what part of "hottest pepper in the world" (at one time at least) could you not process? Oh sorry, that is precisely what you can't process right now. :))

I kid. My apologies for your misfortune. My wife brought me some ghost pepper salt some time ago. Just a pinch of it packs a punch, and I have high tolerance for chillies. I can only imagine what 2 of those suckers are doing to you right now. If its any consolation, all bleeding stops... eventually. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    And the topper is I'm now growing scorpion peppers, because the digestive destruction was just not complete enough from last year's crop.  I should be stopped for my own good.

• Grader07Grader07 Posts: 139
    Not enough antacids to put out that fire
  • Omg thay call them ghost peppers for acreason. Good luck, and when you have your morning poop, lol better make it quick.  :((
  • WHat goes in hot comes out HOTTER lol   :))  Good luck 
  • all bleeding stops... eventually...................one way or another it does :))

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,387
    Hold your breath bite a bullet lots of baby wipes . Good luck
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • LTAFlynEggLTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    Sorry to say, but I am laughing at your expense, who needs comics from the morning paper when this type of material is available right here! :D
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,069
    =)) What a great start to my morning. Thanks for the laughs.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,377
    Unfortunately the endorphin rush only occurs on the inbound part.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    caliking said:
    Dude... what part of "hottest pepper in the world" (at one time at least) could you not process? Oh sorry, that is precisely what you can't process right now. :))

I kid. My apologies for your misfortune. My wife brought me some ghost pepper salt some time ago. Just a pinch of it packs a punch, and I have high tolerance for chillies. I can only imagine what 2 of those suckers are doing to you right now. If its any consolation, all bleeding stops... eventually. 

never heard of ghost pepper salt. Just looked up and bought a bottle. Any tips?
    Boom
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,148
    @FanofFanboys: its great stuff. Use as a garnish, not to salt your food. Use sparingly first until you figure out how much of the ghost pepper part you enjoy. Its great stuff. One of my fav things in my pantry right now

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 338
    =))
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,708
    @TEggSun you just need a new Eggcessory.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

@JRWhitee....I'd be interested if that thing shot out ice cubes. 

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,204
    What the hell is the matter with people... does this after explaining how hot the damn thing is...

• Bigphil has a thread on smoothies just in case you still need something. :D
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739
    THe comments on this forum just gets me through the day =))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,708
    TEggSun said:
    @JRWhitee....I'd be interested if that thing shot out ice cubes. 
    That would be another Eggcessory. :((

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 860
    hapster said:
    What the hell is the matter with people... does this after explaining how hot the damn thing is...

I actually gasped when he put the whole thing in his mouth and chewed. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 715
    Weird thing about ghost peppers - if you use 3 in your recipe it would have been much less hot. Seriously, I wouldn't lie about that.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • BigGreenBBQBigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    be glad you did not rub your eyes...  I love hot food - hate when it burns twice.  "Ring of Fire" =))
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Are you back in Austin?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• lewisj82lewisj82 Posts: 76
    Baby wipes, and strength. These are things you will need.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX
  • MdavidMdavid Posts: 4

If you really like Bhut Jolokias you can order them as dried pods from Firehouse Pantry.   A 1 lb bag of whole dried peppers is like 65 bucks and lasts well over a year.   The heat will put your a-- in the street.

I had developed a pretty good tolerance to their heat, but cut back on them as my supply dwindled.   Tried a whole one on food the other day and guess what--tolerance is greatly diminished so have to resupply.

My wife thinks I am insane for eating them at all...................

@Mdavid, I still have plenty of them dehydrated from last year.  The damn thing grew into a shrub and dominated my garden.  I'll have Bhuts for years.

Mine likely weren't up to 1M Scovilles, but they'll certainly get your attention.