Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Hatchling

My wife and daughter surprised me with a large BGE this weekend as an early Father's Day present (Been on the wish list for a while).  I have already cooked some fantastic steaks and a pork loin roast after reading pointers on the forum.  The guy at the store said that I wouldn't use my gas grill again and I think that he is right.  Also bought a Looftlighter at the recommendation of the Ace store and love it.  Still learning and am looking forward to advice from the Eggmasters!
Milton, GA.

Comments

• welcome. You'll love it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Welcome. He w correct in my case. Used it for several years as storage and then tossed it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Welcome to the amazing journey!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Welcome. Now hang on for the ride to the zoo. 8-}

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Welcome to the forum, congrats on the egg. Mine was a birthday present last year, gave my gasser away 3 months later :).
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Glad you joined! You're going to love it, it's great and this is a great place to learn and get some laughs along the way.
  • As soon as I get my new table with some storage, my gasser will be gone too. It has been out of gas since the day I used it to heat up the platesetter and has never seen gas food in it since. Welcome to the forum and the obsession!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I use my gas grill to keep "EGGED" food warm for large parties!!  Welcome aboard, heck of a father's day present, one you will not soon forget ! 
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Welcome.  I had the same hatching process, Fathers Day last year. I use my gasser (connected to city natural gas) for some things still and won't probably get rid of it ever.  (I use all 14 clubs even though I love my putter)  I will say though that there are some things I never do on the gasser anymore.....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Thanks all for the welcome!  I will be working on upgrading the pics when I get it figured out (or when my daughter does it for me!) My next project will be Beer Butt Chicken and I will let y'all know how it turns out.
    Milton, GA.
  • n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Just got my egg too.   I won't get rid of my gas grill, but I think it will be used for quick hot dogs at lunch and when I need to grill chicken legs for the kids (while the adult food is on the egg)
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    welcome to the cult, be prepared to buy a lot of lump and have fun.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Congrats!! Tossed out the gasser a month ago... Welcome
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Welcome aboard.  Took some convincing to get SWMBO to agree to the egg.  It only took a couple of cooks on it (Spatchcock Chicken won her over completely) and now she asks me what I'm going to cook next. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome! What's a gas grill. :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome aboard. I gave away my 6 burner gasser to my parents and took my old offset down to the ranch after getting my Egg. Now I have two and am starting to think about what the third should be...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome @flynnbob. You must be a wonderful father and husband or, your wife and daughter just figured that this would be a great way to get you to take over more of the cooking load.  :-?

Either way, you come out on top!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome and congratulations!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Welcome aboard and congratulations for whatever you have accomplished to merit such a gift.  It's a game changer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.