Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side burner for your wood Egg Table

Options
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever purchased a gas side burner and attached it to your wood table. At my old house I had a large outdoor kitchen with a DCS double side burner built into it.

Now I have a table from BGE and was wondering if it was possible to attach a burner to it?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have almost the same question. Have this gas pipe ready for a side burner. Just have to find one. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't use this with my egg, we use it for tepanyaki at the dinner table but it works like a champ and you can put it away when you are not using it. For $40 it's a decent solution

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have a place built in for my 3 burner stove:

EDIT

Sorry picture didn't post.  See below.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba
    Options
    imageimage
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Options
    Not sure if that is an idea you could do or not...
    Anderson, SC

• JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    Options
    very nice @r270ba ! how long did it take you to do that?

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

Here's the burner set up we use at our house.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• r270ba
    Options
    JSobotkin said:

very nice @r270ba ! how long did it take you to do that?

I think the question you should be asking is how long is it taking me :))

I have been working on a backyard 'remodel' for about a year now. Doing it myself. Think I am about to hire someone to finish it up though. Only about 40 hors of work left so I am ready to be done!
    Anderson, SC

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    You could attache many side burners by using two bolts or screws into the tables and then slot out a keyhole in the side of burner. Many cookers have a clearance rating on them that says how far from a combustible surface it can be. Here is induction cooker I put into the top of a stainless table
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@r270ba : Dude, you've been holding out on us! That's beautiful. Is it all wood, if so what type? Any steel stud for the framework?

I'm full of questions because I am planning to build a small outdoor kitchen, not nealry as nice as yours.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@r270ba I saw your set up pic with the camp chef 3 burner there.  I was thinking of the same thing, because they are 30,000 BTU burners.  Will you keep the stove out all the time?  How do you intend to protect it from the elements?  I was thinking it would need some type of cover?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• r270ba
    Options
    caliking said:

@r270ba : Dude, you've been holding out on us! That's beautiful. Is it all wood, if so what type? Any steel stud for the framework?

I'm full of questions because I am planning to build a small outdoor kitchen, not nealry as nice as yours.

Man I hope to have a post detailing the entire build here soon.  Like I say it has been a year in the making.  Built it with my dad and it has been a blast but I am ready for it to be done.  My dad did all the cabinetry. It is all rough cut cedar including the frame and supports.  He built his cabinets with steel framing at his house but thought it was a little much for the cabinets I have (you should see his :)) )

BigWader said:

@r270ba I saw your set up pic with the camp chef 3 burner there.  I was thinking of the same thing, because they are 30,000 BTU burners.  Will you keep the stove out all the time?  How do you intend to protect it from the elements?  I was thinking it would need some type of cover?

I have a picture somewhere of the burners with a cover on it.  I love this setup with one exception.  The cover that I bought (linked below) is thick and I didn't take that into consideration when building the 'inset' for it in the cabinets...so it makes for a VERY tight fit.  I think I am going to build some time of wooden 'counter top' to go on top of it instead of the cover.

Anderson, SC

• bbqgaffer
    bbqgaffer Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I guess nobody has actually tried attaching a burner to a wood table. Probably isn't safe. I guess I will just build a small brick tower next to my BGE table and set a burner in it. 

I used my burner a lot, grilling onions, warming sauce, etc. It is convenient to have it next to the BBQ instead of having to use the kitchen in the house and move back and forth.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    You could put some concrete board between side burner and the table. Drill thru and bolt to table. This will give you a non combustible surface between the two. Tile or ceramic would do also but harder to drill.
  • R270ba - nice set up!! I see you're using a Graco sprayer.... Thank you! I work there so thanks for supporting us :)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)