Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's the new guy with no eyelashes? (And pizza cook)

Options
Well, I always thought all the talk of burping and flashing was more funny than serious. Not any more...

Tried out the Baking Steel on a couple pizzas for the first time last night. All in all I'd say good, but not great (won't be buying that particular dough again). 

A couple of notes that I wanted to discuss:

A 21" Baking steel is giant, and heavy. I have no idea where I'm going to store that thing. I tried to have it scaled back to 18" after rethinking, but no dice. Barely fits on top of the AR in my XL. May have to rethink my setup. 

Going nuclear to get that giant hunk of steel up to temp means you can/will get flashbacks. I got a little one (first time ever) that took the hair off my knuckles and thought "Whoa, so that's what I've heard about". Proceeded to pop the lid open and was damn near engulfed in flames. Singed most the hair off my right arm and about half the length of my eyelashes on my right eye! Could have been really bad, but now it just seems funny.

I have some pics to share when I get home from work, but just wanted to post this while I was chuckling about the hot pepper thread this morning. Always more to learn on this thread, and you guys make that fun and interesting, maybe I can be a cautionary tale too...

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yikes!! Glad it ended up being funny rather than tragic!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    crazy, my right hand (burping hand) is always less hairy for that same reason.  I just had my parents over for pizza and my mom got her eyelashes blazed down to stubs by just taking a "sneak peak" at the pizza from the top chimney!  Those high temp pizzas can be dangerous because every minute is critical to the crust, so I think we forget the art of a "slow burp" . .  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Okay, as promised here are some pizza cook pics.

As you can see a 21" baking steel barely fits on top of the AR, and I think this set up might need to be adjusted.

Like I mentioned above, this was a good but not great pizza cook. Probably won't buy this dough (from Trader Joe's) again, but it was pretty quick and easy. Topping were nice, but I would like to have cooked the first pizza a little longer and gotten the top to cook just a little more on the second.

Work in progress, but certainly not giving up. Ozark Oak was just a good for this hot cook as it was for low/slow(ish) over the weekend. As always any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    No selfies of your missing eyelashes?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Not cool. Glad you're not hurt badly brother.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • JNealLawson
    Options
    Glad you're OK.

I've had my egg less than a month, and I've been cooking up a storm.  Tonight I wanted to roast some pablanos, corn, and zucchini in the egg, so I got it quite hot (600).  I've read about "burping" the egg, and have been careful, but I was in a hurry, and I forgot.

An air blast of heat hit me like a fireball.  I singed both fore-arms, eyelashes, eyebrows, and the hair on the front of my head.  I could hear it singe, and the burned hair smell was potent.

I don't think I'll make that mistake again!
    LBGE, 2 UDS, lots of Georgia pecan
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    Happens to the best of us! I used to have a nice long goatee now I keep it shorter because even though I burp it every time I open it sometimes it spits no matter what
    HFX NS
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Looking forward for the goggles that I bought to arrive to help prevent this from happening although the rest of my face is not protected.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts