Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Heating Egg

I am kind-a new.  It takes about 10 minutes to get a small flame in the Egg when I use the electric starter.  After I get a flame, it takes at least 25 or 30 minutes to get the temp up to 350 degrees.  If I am making steaks or burgers, I like to sear them first then drop the temp to cook.  Are the times I mentioned normal or do you think I am doing something wrong?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited June 2013
    Have you cleaned out the egg and checked to see if the holes in the charcoal grate are clogged. Can't speak on electric starter but slow to rise in temp is airflow issue or wet lump only. 99% of the time airflow. Google high que grate or make a wiggle rod
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Also, you may want to consider switching your order and doing a reverse sear. It is easier (i.e., quicker) to raise the temp than to lower it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    There is a difference between "reaching" 350 degrees and being "stabilized" at 350 degrees!  I too use an electric starter and the timing you posted is accurate to mine if you are talking about "stabilization".  I can get to 350 degrees or above in half the time --  but that isn't "stabilized".  It just takes some time to allow the entire mass of the egg to equalize throughout at a certain temperature.  As Chubbs mentioned, starting with a cleaned egg, with all the holes clear of obstructions in the fire plate make a major difference.  Being "stabilized" is an important part of egging.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Could be your lump. I use a map torch, maybe 30 to 45 seconds to get it lit in a couple of places, maybe ten more to get to temp

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Clean out the ash, use your large pieces of lump on the bottom of the firebox, make sure bottom vent and daisy wheel are breathing.

it's either fuel or airflow. 
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Just my 2 cents,I noticed the 5 holes in the side of the firebox on line get clogged when I stir to remove the ash build up. I take my pinky finger and push the ash through. I was sort of having the same issue in the begining.
  • I had the same issue and found that I had to take out the inner clay shell (2 halves) and clean out the ash. After replacing the shell the problem was resolved - David