Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best wireless thermometer

Looking to buy a thermometer that has:

1) 2 probes, one for grill and one for the meat

2) wireless so I can monitor from house

Is the Maverick the best?  http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B009ITJT92/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks

Comments

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I have one and so far it works like a charm.
    Duncan, SC
  • That is one I use and seems to be the most recommended one--and it has a lo/hi temp alarm so you know if fire goes too low or too high during the night.
  • Yup, Maverick ET-732 is the way to go, I think.  ThermoWorks makes one, too, but the general consensus here seems to be Maverick for wireless monitoring, Thermapen for instant read.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    Only complaint on the maverick is alot of us have had probes go bad pretty quick, even with taking precautions to protect them. Seems like the pit temp prob is more frequent the problem. Mine went bad after only a half dozen low and slow cooks with temps under 300. Haven't contacted maverick yet, but need to see what they will do?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Never had an issue with maverick probes and probably used 50 times. Place cord by platesetter leg. Don't submerge in water.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Would love a little more range with the maverick, but I believe it's the best thing going. Can live without my thermapen.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    What other wireless thermos are out there? 
    Maverick is the sole player to my knowledge. For me the range is OK, but, I would like the build quality of Thermoworks 8060 with wireless of the Mav. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Would love a little more range with the maverick, but I believe it's the best thing going. Can live without my thermapen.
    Man we are 100% opposite. I don't use anything but a Thermapen on butts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    If you have an iPhone, Apple makes the iGrill which I have been using for 2 years and it works great.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Love my Maverick.  Had it for 2 years with no problems at all.  The only precaution I take with the probes is to not soak them in water.

The Maverick and the Thermapen have different purposes in my opinion.  The Maverick allows me to keep the egg closed for long cooks and still monitor temps remotely.  Remember, if you're looking, you ain't cooking!

The Thermapen helps me the most with getting meat to the right temp - chicken, turkeys, burgers, steaks, etc...  Individual pieces of meat cook at different rates, so I can make sure that each piece is at the right temp with the Thermapen.

I can't live without either.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited June 2013
    I use stoker. But stoker has temp control as well and probably more expensive.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    i like my cyberq wifi! love being able to view the temperatures even when i am outside the wifi range.

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    JSobotkin said:
    i like my cyberq wifi! love being able to view the temperatures even when i am outside the wifi range.
    Ouch ... looks cool but $400?  http://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Wifi-Green-Kamado-Primo/dp/B008SC3IB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370471616&sr=8-1&keywords=cyberq+wifi
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2013
    Do you have access to a time machine?  If you could go back in time about 10 years, you could get the Maverick ET-73 when they were rock solid reliable.  Mine is over 10 years old and still going strong and I'm still using the original probes!  If mine ever dies, I'll probably get the ET-732 (unless there's something bigger/stronger/better at the time).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    edited June 2013
    Maverick has great custom service -- send them and email and they'll replace the bad probe. I have heard a lot of people wrap the probe in foil for added protection.  great therm... as far as the cyberq wifi I love the idea of a PID plus wifi - heard you can control it on your computer love the idea -- not the price!!!
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    QDude said:
    Love my Maverick.  Had it for 2 years with no problems at all.  The only precaution I take with the probes is to not soak them in water.

The Maverick and the Thermapen have different purposes in my opinion.  The Maverick allows me to keep the egg closed for long cooks and still monitor temps remotely.  Remember, if you're looking, you ain't cooking!

The Thermapen helps me the most with getting meat to the right temp - chicken, turkeys, burgers, steaks, etc...  Individual pieces of meat cook at different rates, so I can make sure that each piece is at the right temp with the Thermapen.

I can't live without either.
    +1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    THE DRU said:

If you have an iPhone, Apple makes the iGrill which I have been using for 2 years and it works great.

That's great to know, I have been looking at the iGrill!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    @n2wdw - i agree, the cyberq wifi is pricey, but i like the functions. it is one of those things that i splurged on because i like neat gadgets like that. 

plus it is fun watching the BGE while away from the house -- now i need a security camera!

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• n2wdw
    So I ended up buying the Maverick ET732.  The only thing to watch for is getting the probes wet, but since I'm doing all the cooking on the Egg I should be able to avoid that. 

cyberq wifi is cool but never a serious candidate due to the $400 price, but I can see why people buy it, it's a cool toy

I thought about getting the iGrill, it's not much more expensive than the Maverick.  But I have a love/hate relationship with Apple products, and from the reviews I didn't have confidence in an overnight cook with iGrill like I would with Maverick.  I could be wrong, but I went with the safe and sure.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I ordered a cyberQ wifi today. Price is high. But I like the fact it will ramp the cooker down and let me monitor 3 food items at once. Not to mention web control so I can make adjustments when I'm at work.  (or more likely, when I am supposed to be off at 5:30 and it's already 7:30pm and no end in sight)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Before buying an egg, i was ,for many years, hooked on the weber kettles.  I had learnt how important it was to KNOW whats happening inside my kettle, and i think i have owned all available wireless monitors, even got all my buddies using them.  And the first three months i used them while cooking on the egg.  But after a year, i rarely used them, because the egg was so predictable i relied on the egg's ability to maintain the cooking temperature -- basically "removed the inconsistancies of the cook.  Now i have a DigiQ for my turbo butts, but don't need any wireless communication because time wise, i know about when i need to be there to foil the butts and again when it is close to being finished..  All my five or six monitors set in a drawer- unused now.
  • n2wdw
    Before buying an egg, i was ,for many years, hooked on the weber kettles.  I had learnt how important it was to KNOW whats happening inside my kettle, and i think i have owned all available wireless monitors, even got all my buddies using them.  And the first three months i used them while cooking on the egg.  But after a year, i rarely used them, because the egg was so predictable i relied on the egg's ability to maintain the cooking temperature -- basically "removed the inconsistancies of the cook.  Now i have a DigiQ for my turbo butts, but don't need any wireless communication because time wise, i know about when i need to be there to foil the butts and again when it is close to being finished..  All my five or six monitors set in a drawer- unused now.
    I can see getting to that point, but since I'm new with the egg and playing with regulating temperature, I need a thermometer to make sure the egg is where I want it to be for long cooks
  • Any thoughts on the cyberQ or DigiQ from BBQGURU???

Or are they no better....

I like the thoughts of setting the temp and walking away!

The cyberQ works up to 475F but I guess thats the max you would want for setting a temperature for this sort of cooking, above that your just doing steaks etc I figure your standing over the grill at that point

Anyone using these???
    Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Mavericj ET732.  Has been very reliable for me and very handy to have as you run around the house or kitchen pulling togther the rest of the meal.  I have never had a problem with range from the sending unit and I do wrap the end of my probe in foil as a precaution...i just figured that as cheap insurance and I have never had a problem...also, as mentioned several times above, don't submerge them in water or you are doomed.  VERY handy little gadget.  The Thermapen is also invaluable as an instant read thermo.