Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet & Spicy Sticky Wings

2»

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    I had a dream last night that Kristi and me were hopelessly intertwined in sweet and spicy sticky wings.  I put the alarm on snooze 5 times.   :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• hahaha! :))   VI, you've been sniffin' too much fish sauce!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    It just got weird.

Man, I sure am going to miss Kristi.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Did you wake up and smoke a cigarette VI?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Kosko
    Well got em cooked up. ( man did the sauce stink the house up!) ate one to make sure they were good before I introduced them to the big family and man! They are awesome!!!! Thanks kristi!....will let you know how the fam. Like them!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Well, I share my victories but also my epic fails. Tried the wings but evidently used too much fish sauce. As a fisherman I've used done seriously bad smelling stuff....the fs tops them all. Oh well...still have deep dish pizza. 4 meat, 3 veggie and cheese. Crossing my fingers....and toes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Kosko
    I took the wings to my family's Christmas party( around 50 people) they were GONE! Everyone asked " who made the wings?" The were killer! I owe all my thanks to Kristi!
  • Been drooling over the pics of these wings for about 2 weeks and waiting for the right time to make them. Well last night was it and time to break in my new adjustable rig. My neighbor is always making wings on his gasser, and quite proud of them, so i decided to make enough for him as a surprise.

i bought 6 lbs of wings and cooked in 2 batches. Holy crap they were delicious! Followed the recipe exactly as stated. My neighbor called me twice while he was eating to say how sticky and great they were. The sauce sure stinks up the house with fish smell while its simmering, but well worth it.

Adding this one to the permanent recipe file. Thanks!

Woodstock, GA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I attempted these on New Years Eve, and didn't achieve the results I was looking for.  I didn't let the sauce boil down enough, and the result was a watery coating for the wings.  They were still delicious!  They were sweet and spicy, but not sticky.

So, for the National Championship game last night, I attempted them again.  I was determined to let it boil down longer, so I cranked the stovetop, and went outside to flip the wings.  I was outside for maybe 2 minutes when my kid opened the back door to alert me to the boiling fish sauce, which was now boiling over the pot. 

Fish sauce smells enough as it is.  But when it's burnt all over the stovetop, it takes it to a completely new, unimaginable level of stink. 

Even in the midst of that putrid smell, I was able to salvage some of the sauce, transfered it to a different pot, boiled it down and made some awesome wings.  We ate them outside in 35 degree weather, since the kitchen was uninhabitable. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam said:

Fish sauce smells enough as it is.  But when it's burnt all over the stovetop, it takes it to a completely new, unimaginable level of stink. 

SaltySam... I can't even imagine! :-O 
    I'm happy you were able to salvage some of it!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    This began as a serious thread, but has gotten funny. I did ten pounds this way and was actually afraid to try them. Asked my best friend to and I stood by acting naturally, but nervous. He loved them and away they went. Definitely a go to from now on! Thanks Kristi!
  • Just made these for my first attempt at wings on my shiny new Egg. I Love them, and being half Vietnamese, I finally know how to make something from my peeps :) Thanks a ton for the recipe, it was Great Success!