Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low temp trouble

Options
I've been using my LBGE for about 3 months and I have trouble maintaining low temps (220-275). I can maintain 300+ easily but when I restrict the air to hold achieve a low temp I put the fire out.

Comments

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    My biggest improvement in that area has been my hi que grate. Really lets that baby breath.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    There are many ways to get the BGE lump up and burning-for me with low&slow I fully open the bottom vent, open the dome and light in the center.  Leave the dome open for around 5-10 minutes (looking for around a softball sized mass of lump burning).  Then shut the dome with DFMT off.  When dome temp (calibrated) gets to around 200*F, I then set the DFMT and bottom vent to about the target temp (somewhere 250-275*F-don't chase it) and let it settle in.  Make every attempt to not overshoot as once the ceramic heats up it can take quite a while for the temp to come back down.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    @lousubcap outlined my approach as well.  I honestly have trouble with keeping temps below 250 and the fire burning (I go old school, no auto temp fan), but can keep 250 dead on all night.  Also, make sure you build your fire with big pieces on the bottom (and perhaps 2 layers of big pieces before putting the little stuff on) for a full fire box, that helps me keep even burn as well.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I have more trouble getting high temps than low. With low temps as soon as it hits 225 I start shutting down both top and bottom vents until it stabilizes for 30 mins. I am using royal oak which I have a hard time getting high temps out of.
    Duncan, SC
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @HoosierEgg71, one trick I've found helps in my XLBGE is to clear an area of lump at the front of the firebox before lighting. I like to see about two holes fully clear of obstruction. Since I started doing that I've had more luck keeping the egg lit and settled in on O/N low 7 slow cooks. 

@Mross, If your egg won't go nuclear after 20 min or so with bottom vent wide open and DFMT off something is wrong. You might need to clean out the ash trap? Do you mean you have more trouble sustaining high temp, or it doesn't go high at all? 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mross
    Options
    @black badger I mean with a completely empty ash trap with a brand new bag of charcoal I have a hard time getting over 450. With that being said I am trying to do indirect with a KJ heat deflector which may not let enough air flow through. It does not have the hot spots of a PS.
    Duncan, SC
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @Mross have you taken all off the insides out and cleaned out the egg then.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @Mross, that's weird, and a little troubling. I would try it with the deflector and grid out and just make sure everything is kosher. Should go nuclear (like around the dial) in 20 in or less. If you do that be very careful when opening the lid, it can flash like crazy and you could get burned.  

Have you calibrated the thermo? 

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mross
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yes. I took everything out and cleaned every hole in the thing. I am trying to do some roast beef right now and, I got the egg to 400 before I put the K J heat deflector in. It dropped the temp 50 degrees. I put meat in when it got back to 400. It has been burning with bottom vent open and no top for 45 mins and it just now got to 390 when I turned the the egg into the breeze.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    Options
    Calibrated thermometer last week and have maverick running they agree.
    Duncan, SC
  • HoosierEgg71
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I will spend a little more time "building" my fire and I will definitely look into the aftermarket grate.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

While the High Q grate has gotten excellent reviews, for low and slow cooks I've had the exact same experience as @Black_Badger.  I've had some excellent overnight cooks with the stock charcoal grate in the 220 and 230 range where the thermometer didn't budge all night.

"one trick I've found helps in my XLBGE is to clear an area of lump at the front of the firebox before lighting. I like to see about two holes fully clear of obstruction. Since I started doing that I've had more luck keeping the egg lit and settled in on O/N low 7 slow cooks."

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    My experience, although limited, is that I have no trouble achieving 550 degrees in about 15 minutes. I can also achieve a low temp of about 235 and it holds that pretty good. I still have to keep an eye on it or it will creep up or down some.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mdavid
    Mdavid Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been using my Egg for a couple of years now. One trick I use may help. I keep an inexpensive small wet/dry vac by my egg. This allows me to clear the ash very easily each time I use it. I just did a beef brisket and had no trouble maintaining 220 all day.