Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grill Extender - Sizes for top grid

Got in on the group buy for the grill extender and need to know what size grid to buy?  I have a large.  

Of course, I'd like to have the biggest one that will fit - preferably with enough room below for smaller stuff like ribs and wings.  
Auburn, AL

Comments

• mwraulstmwraulst Posts: 131
    medium
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,562
    It was designed to work with the 18 inch grid if the bottom grid is on the fire ring. He told me that it would work with one size down on the Plate setter. I used it with a weber 17 inch grate yesterday and it fit on the PS snugly and still closed. There is a 4.5 inch separation between the levels and more with spacers(it comes with one). I'll take some pictures when I get home today. 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,562
    edited June 2013
    By one size down I meant the corresponding smaller size egg grid. XL-L, L-M, etc. 
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I had my boss pick mine up last weekend and picked up a med. grill it works great! Thanks Alton you are the Eggman goo goo-kachu
  • I believe I read on the original post that someone with a large could also get a 14.5 weber grid to save a buck or two.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    The weber grate are thin and bow real bad
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    The Medium BGE SST grid is $44.00, anyone have a cheaper alternative?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • brownbwbrownbw Posts: 111
    Thanks for the responses.  I looked at the weber grids on amazon.  They are about $10 or so w/ free amazon prime shipping. 
    Auburn, AL
  • brownbwbrownbw Posts: 111
    edited June 2013
    Auburn, AL
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,782

brownbw, that looks like a good grate, but I see it's a charcoal grate.  No big deal, but is it stainless steel or not?  If not, that will be a real maintenance item.

What do you think?

Thanks

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,166
    rsmith193 said:
    If you get the charcoal grate for the 22.5" Weber kettle, it is made of steel but not stainless. It will not bow as much, but will likely need to be seasoned and kept greased up to prevent rust. The BGE grids are high quality and thus more expensive, but I imagine the Weber option is a very workable one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FortodayFortoday Posts: 94
    I picked up a bge grid from my dealer for $23.. Not to bad for a medium grid
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 105
    Fortoday said:

Is it stainless or porcelain?
    Cedar Park, TX
  • dawsonhulldawsonhull Posts: 105
    Wow - I picked up a medium grid yesterday for $49. It was SS. He said he'd sell me the porcelain one for $35.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,166
    hoffmand said:
    Its BS.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmoothSmokeSmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    caliking said:
    rsmith193 said:
    If you get the charcoal grate for the 22.5" Weber kettle, it is made of steel but not stainless. It will not bow as much, but will likely need to be seasoned and kept greased up to prevent rust. The BGE grids are high quality and thus more expensive, but I imagine the Weber option is a very workable one.

Yup, the Weber charcoal grates bow.  Not their cooking grates.  The cooking grate off a Weber Smokey Joe would be a great alternative for those that are wanting a 15" top grate.  The SJ grate is 14.5", close enough and you'll save a good chunk of change. 
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 105
    caliking said:

hoffmand said:

Fortoday said:

Its BS.

Lol, sounds like it. List price is $50/31 for SS/porcelain
    Cedar Park, TX
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 747
    I'm thinking of using it with the SS grid 16.5inch from CGS for $37.99. Will that work?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts