Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    Very disappointing response. Funny how that has such a response. Recently saw Mystery Diners on one of my favorite sandwich spots in NOLA and they showed a waitress rubbing the top piece of bread on her sweaty nasty tits. I told a buddy that I will never go back and he started debating the fact that it was a management problem and that since she was fired, I should still go there. Really?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Someone kill this thread.
    Duncan, SC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    I'm quite confident that @caliking regrets starting this **** storm. :-\"
    Yea, maybe. However, like him and others that have responded, it is somewhat disappointing when people or vendors (also just people) kind of give you the brush off. I am not a retailer or a vendor of any sort, but I do  know this, Wicked Good is NOT is the charcoal business......it is in the "come back business" For every person who has, because  of the thread, decided they will no longer buy that product, Wicked Good can find two new customers but will only be one ahead from where there would have been. Not a giant deal but not the best business model for maximum growth. Will it make much difference in the end? Most likely not. But as a customer, a vendor has to eat a lot of crow sometimes. Sorry, I am starting to ramble. I support @caliking on this one.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

I reacted initially, but some good points by some forum members made me realize that all this was just blown way out proportion. Cali should have never posted her e-mail and why in the world are people letting someone's experience dictate your future business with WGWW. She made a mistake and could have done better educating Cali for his misinformed post. Yes, we're hearing and seeing a bad experience, but for every bad review, there are 9 other great ones that you'll never hear. Bottom line, WGWW is a great product that speaks for itself. The problem is that it's no longer available in some areas due to Ace no longer carrying it. I'm using Royal Oak right now and it sucks balls compared to WG. I'm going back to Central Market Lump after I run out, and will definitely buy WG if I come across a bag. In the end, it boils down to quality of the product, and WG is far superior than any lump I have tried thus far. I support good lump on this one.

according to their website you can still get it in SA here: http://www.sunsetridgehardware.com/
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Options

cazzy said:

Springram said:

cazzy said:

I'm quite confident that @caliking regrets starting this **** storm. :-\"

Yea, maybe. However, like him and others that have responded, it is somewhat disappointing when people or vendors (also just people) kind of give you the brush off. I am not a retailer or a vendor of any sort, but I do  know this, Wicked Good is NOT is the charcoal business......it is in the "come back business" For every person who has, because  of the thread, decided they will no longer buy that product, Wicked Good can find two new customers but will only be one ahead from where there would have been. Not a giant deal but not the best business model for maximum growth. Will it make much difference in the end? Most likely not. But as a customer, a vendor has to eat a lot of crow sometimes. Sorry, I am starting to ramble. I support @caliking on this one.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

I reacted initially, but some good points by some forum members made me realize that all this was just blown way out proportion.

Cali should have never posted her e-mail and why in the world are people letting someone's experience dictate your future business with WGWW. She made a mistake and could have done better educating Cali for his misinformed post. Yes, we're hearing and seeing a bad experience, but for every bad review, there are 9 other great ones that you'll never hear.

Bottom line, WGWW is a great product that speaks for itself. The problem is that it's no longer available in some areas due to Ace no longer carrying it. I'm using Royal Oak right now and it sucks balls compared to WG. I'm going back to Central Market Lump after I run out, and will definitely buy WG if I come across a bag. In the end, it boils down to quality of the product, and WG is far superior than any lump I have tried thus far.

I support good lump on this one.

according to their website you can still get it in SA here: http://www.sunsetridgehardware.com/

Nope! Sunset Ridge orders from Ace.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dislike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks like we have a couple of places here. I'm heading out to get some tomorrow. it's been years since ive used it but after all this, I gotta try it again.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited June 2013
    Options
    looks like we have a couple of places here. I'm heading out to get some tomorrow. it's been years since ive used it but after all this, I gotta try it again.
    good luck.  the last bags i've purchased have been filled with dust and were impossible to light.  It took me over an hour to get this crap to temperature last weekend while I had a crowd waiting for their food.  Others in this thread have indicated the same experience lately.  Royal Oak is way better lump.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2013
    Options
    good luck.  the last bags i've purchased have been filled with ash and were impossible to light.  It took me over an hour to get this crap to temperature last weekend while I had a crowd waiting for their food.  Others in this thread have indicated the same experience lately.  Royal Oak is way better lump.  

I'm just doing it to do it. Not worried about getting it lit. I have a weed burner. I'll get it lit in 30 seconds. I assume you mean full of dust (not ash)?
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

I'm just doing it to do it. Not worried about getting it lit. I have a weed burner. I'll get it lit in 30 seconds. I assume you mean full of dust (not ash)?
    yup dust not ash.  i do have a hard time making ash of it though!  :)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So, is this good lump or not?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I started reading this thread and just noticed it was 2013. To funny. Flashback. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I started reading this thread and just noticed it was 2013. To funny. Flashback. 
    Sadly I was here for the original. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    caliking said:
    DMW said:
    So, is this good lump or not?
    Dude. Friday.  Wait until fvcking Friday. 
    You never know when a Friday is going to pop up around here...
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Wicked Good, as long as it's Competition Blend~~!! Sorry, they haven't produced this stuff for several years. It is awesome charcoal, though......very dense and a little hard to light.......
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    egret said:
    I'm a big fan of Wicked Good, as long as it's Competition Blend~~!! Sorry, they haven't produced this stuff for several years. It is awesome charcoal, though......very dense and a little hard to light.......
    the comp blend was the best lump ever made =) lee ann found me every last bag within a hundred miles when they couldnt get it any more. only complaint was it burned too clean for some
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    This is an oldie, but it's a goodie!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    I used to like WG, Not anymore after this, sticking with Rockwood!

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I purchased a full pallet of WG way back. If memory serves me correct, a short time after they had changed suppliers and the charcoal was crap!! It was a couple of years till they got back on track with a good quality supplier. Last I heard they were one that was FSC certified. Take note it was a product of South America. My info is a couple of years old.

I have around 10 bags left and I will say it is one of the best I have ever burned! 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    They will never get a dime of my money. started to buy a bag when I was out picking up a couple of bags of RW. Not ever going to know what I was missing. She needs to stay the hell out of customer service !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.