Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken fat cooking question

rholt
rholt Posts: 392
Hello all. Planning a spatched chicken raised direct on Saturday and wanted to clarify something. I plan on cooking at 400 degrees with the chicken raised and a pan full of veggies (potatoes and carrots?). I am thinking just do this set up until the chicken is done. Will the skin crisp up with the pan underneath creating an indirect type setup. Should I do plate setter so the veggies don't burn? Should I add oil or butter to the veggies or let the chicken speak for itself? Thanks all.

Comments

• Have done this a few times. I'm sure others have differing opinions. Plate setter legs up. Egg feet on top to raise the pan. Veggies tossed in oil and rub with some white wine. Chicken on top on grid. Last night was about hr and a half at 400. With veggies and setter seems to take about 30 mins longer. I think poblano s red peppers onions and potatoes are best I've had and wifey agrees
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

I would use the plate setter and like Supercilious suggested, raise the veggie pan off the plate setter if possible.  I cooked potatoes, celery, and carrots with the pan directly on the plate setter and they came out OK but the veggies on the bottom were a little over cooked. 

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Air gap needed. BUT - the chicken will drip on the veggies, so go easy on the oil. The smaller the bird the better, some of the Franken birds have a ton of fat in them. I prefer, raised direct for the bird and do the veggies either above or on a different grill. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I use golf ball size baby bellas. Cut your veggies a little larger and pour a little chicken broth in the pan.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    + 1 on the Bellas

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Thanks all. Appreciate the response.