Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Deer Tacos (Yup, I'm a Culinary Redneck)...

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,850

My wife and I use ground venison for everything.  Anything you use ground beef for, well, we normally use ground venzin', because that's what we gots in the freezer.  ;)

We absolutely love Steven Raichlen's recipe for Salsa Verde...  I haven't made it in awhile though, so tonight it hit the spot.

Grilling the vegetables really does a great job of bringing out the flavors in the Salsa.

• fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 879
    That looks delicious and you can take some great food pics, yum!! What do you add to the deer for taco flavors?
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,850
    Thx, @fletcherfam! :) You are too kind. I just use my iPhone actually. :) For the taco seasoning, we usually just use the packaged stuff.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,315

Those looks great.  The salsa recipe sounds killer.  When I read the title I thought you were writing an open letter to tacos.  

Dear Tacos,

Please be advised that I am going to enjoy you with venison and fresh made salsa with grilled veggies. 

Yours Very Truly,

Dial SC (Culinary Redneck)

:P :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caneggercanegger Posts: 540
    I'm with ya. Most of what I eat is venison too. Looks delicious
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Hell to the yeah! Those stuffed bell peppers I did last night were stuffed with venzin sausage

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,230
    Nice! That salsa looks terrific. Is that from Planet Barbecue?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    Looking good as always!
  • BeerIAmBeerIAm Posts: 21
    I'm a taco addict.  Never had venison tacos.  Thanks for the idea!  And thanks for the salsa recipe.  I'm on that like ugly on a Baldwin brother.
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,381
    Looks great man! I grea up eating nothing but dear meat for anything that needed meat!

Hoping to put up a few does this year.

• milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Love the grilled tomatillos and other for salsa.  Nothing like the BGE to bring out the best!
  • Was thinking about making some pulled pork quesadillas tonight for dinner and wanted to do a salsa verde, this looks awesome!  What temp did you grill the veggies at and for how long?  Thanks!
    Thanks a lot, y'all! @caliking, the recipe is from Bold and Healthy Flavors. @CigarSmokinEgger, I'm not sure of the exact temp I used. I just grilled them at a "higher" temp until they were evenly charred, making sure to not burn the garlic. If you click on the above link in the original post, the recipe can be found. Lemme know how you like it! :)
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,593
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrossMross Posts: 338
    edited June 2013
    Dyal we have got get together this fall and go harvest some Bambi. I have 107 acres in whitmire sc and some decent deer on the property.
    Duncan, SC
    Maybe @Chubbs will join us.
    Duncan, SC
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,495
    Dayum, Wish I could get some fresh tomatillos in the GWN. Nice!

Caledon, ON

That would be awesome, @Mross! I was a member of a club out in Wagener last year, but haven't joined one yet for this year. I was about to go visit a club out in Edgefield/Saluda yesterday to take a look, but something popped up last minute.
    My little heaven is family owned and I would welcome you if you you can put up with a few drunk rednecks.
    Duncan, SC
    My kinda peeps! ;)
    Good you can come help bush hog and plant food plots. Spray for wasps in August and sweat your ass off with the rest of us. :)
    Duncan, SC
    Ha! Would love to. I'll bring my machete, 4 wheeler and chainsaw. Also have a brand new stand in my shed that hasn't been broke in yet.
    I will pm you later. I will be on vacation damn near until August. We will get together and make a plan.
    Duncan, SC
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited June 2013
    Oh deer, where do I start? That all looks excellent Dyal! This recipe is the only one I've made from B&HF, but it is a keeper for sure. I was wondering what camera you were using when I saw the aspect ratio of the images. I must admit I didn't know you'd be able to get that quality of image out of the iPhone for food photos. Nicely done!.

It's funny, I was thinking of you this weekend when I made my first leg of lamb on the Egg. I almost snapped a few progress pictures on my iPhone so I could send them to you and get you back for torturing me with those progress pix of your Mechoui of lamb. But I had my hands full with the LOL and the two veggie sides and didn't think I could get good pictures out of the iPhone without screwing around a lot. I now know better.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Dyal_SC said:  @CigarSmokinEgger, I'm not sure of the exact temp I used. I just grilled them at a "higher" temp until they were evenly charred, making sure to not burn the garlic. If you click on the above link in the original post, the recipe can be found. Lemme know how you like it! :)
    Thanks!  I ended up doing them direct at 350, could have been a little higher but it worked out, just taking a little longer.  I LOVED the recipe, it was awesome.  Normally I tweak many recipes I find but this one was spot on :)
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,157
    Food looks amazing @DayOh_SC. I need to see how much deer I have left. Maybe I can make some tacos out of it.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings