Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toronto EggFest - Dickson's 4th Annual

2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It was my first Eggfest, and I truly appreciate all the effort the cooks put in- and really enjoyed sampling all of the creative dishes!

It was great to meet and say hi to @littlesteven as well.

@littlesteven- do you think you could get the recipe from your friend for that calves liver? I loved it!

Thanks to all!!
    The liver was just salt and pepper. I'll get you the onion recipe. He pre ordered the liver and picked it up Friday so it was fresh.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• golpher247
    golpher247 Posts: 8
    edited June 2013

This was our second year at Eggfest.  We had a great time.  I loved going around and sampling the other dishes and seeing how people used their egg. 

We did "the pig" at our booth.  Luckily, the guys at Dicksons were so helpful when we got there.  We underestimated the size that was required to cook that thing but they helped us out and got an XL over to us so we didn't have to cut it up.

It was so much fun.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @golpher247... your pig look great and I enjoyed tasting it when it came off the egg. Are you planning on going to the Niagara festival in August?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I didn't get a chance to get over there but the porchetta was amazing!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't think we are heading to Niagara.  I believe I am on holidays that week and I am out of the country.  I wish I could.  It will be a great event.  I will pencil it in for next year.

We had never cooked a pig before.  We were in unchartered territories from beginning to end.  We lucked out with the XL egg and it all worked out.......such a great time.  Good people all around.

• We had a great time on Saturday at the Toronto EggFest!  While I didn't sample everything (I did what I could!), what I did, was excellent!  @Little_Steven 's satay was amazing!  I didn't get any of the lamb version, but the pork was killer!  Steve's friend, who I didn't get a chance to meet, cooked sardines with salsa verde as well as the calves liver dish.  They were both excellent!  I got to the stuffed pig late and the chef said all the juicy parts were gone, but I still got a great bite!  Both my daughters liked the pulled pork sundae and my teenager is suggesting I do it for the Owosso GrillFest on June 15 in Owosso, Michigan.  Not a bad idea!  Steve had some grilled Molson, but I kept mine "tartar".

We met Little Steven, @TexanOfTheNorth and spoke quite a bit with both of these great guys.  We also met @gabrieggerand his wife briefly right before they were leaving and were sorry we missed the opportunity to visit more.  We had a great time!  Here's some pix: 

Steve cooking

John (TexanOfTheNorth) & me

Samantha (my oldest) & me at the kiddie show. 

Elaine with her "I'm tired of you taking pictures of me" smile 

The Toronto skyline as the rain was moving in late in the day.

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    No worries. Your prep work and recipe cards just looked really good and the anticipation was killing me ! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    caliking said:
    No worries. Your prep work and recipe cards just looked really good and the anticipation was killing me ! :)
    That's me cooking them in Freddies pics. I'm hoping my friends Urs and Karen got some pics of the plated stuff (that she did)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Ok I talked to Urs tonight and he said the double-smoked bacon was Vidalia onion, a little jus de vieux lis (reduced veal stock) and some paprika. He doesn't follow recipes either.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    I thought he had something sweet in there but it was just the Vidalia's. He is Swiss and he makes the same sauce for a lot of his traditional stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

@Caliking,

Went downstairs to get my fifth or sixth beer and saw a container I had reserved of the satay. No time to soak skewers and I used a bottled peanut sauce but here you go.

photo DSC_0117-2.jpg

photo DSC_0122-2.jpg

photo DSC_0124-2.jpgphoto DSC_0126-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    LS, those were delicious. Loved the peanut cashew sauce. The recipe cards were also awesome. If I had 1 complaint about Eggfest, and complaint may be a harsh word, was that I tried so many good things, but nobody else had their recipe/methods available. I have to rely on my terrible memory for cook details.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    edited June 2013
    I thought the tasters tickets were way overpriced man. They do a good job otherwise.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Little Steven: thanks for scratching my itch. You're a gentleman egger. Sounds like that sauce got rave reviews!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Greeno55
    @TexanOfTheNorth - no worries on not recognizing. It would have been great to chat with you though. Next time there should be some sort of easy way to recognize those of us who live on this forum. Hope you had a great time.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    caliking said:
    @Little Steven: thanks for scratching my itch. You're a gentleman egger. Sounds like that sauce got rave reviews!
    Thanks, It's a pretty good cook if I do say so myself. I was glad I found them cause the lady that did the recipe cards wasn't able to make the fest so I vac sealed and brought them in for her.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    @Greeno55... yeah, I started out by asking people if they were on the forum but, I got a lot of blank stares so I gave up. I've seen pictures from other festivals where they wore name tags; might be the way to do it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    All the other fests I've attended have been sort of developed with the forum. You wear your name tag which usually has your handle in large letters and your name in smaller font. I don't think Dicksons even announces the fest on the boards. Usually Grande Ouef Vert (Sales guy from BGE Canada) does it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I made it easy for people to recognize me by the Fred Flintstone hat. I was also going to wear my Red Wings shirt, but decided to wear that to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Having my picture taken with Steve while wearing it was a happy bonus.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    I didn't see the hat ...it was up too high :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    I didn't notice the hat at all that day or I would have approached you Fred. LS was easy to recognize. I just looked for the little guy cooking pork. I wonder if your Wings shirt there would have garnered as much ball busting as me wearing my Bruins shirt in TO. Apparently, many haven't began getting over that horrific (read: amazing) Leafs collapse.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

@Greeno55 - we talked about that 3rd period and I thought we agreeed to let it rest.  I just got out of therapy and now have to book another session.

@LittleSteven - I didn't see Fred's hat either.  Not until he posted his pictures.  That is one tall fella

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Little Steven
    I thought you were tall :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth

@Greeno55 - we talked about that 3rd period and I thought we agreeed to let it rest.  I just got out of therapy and now have to book another session.

@LittleSteven - I didn't see Fred's hat either.  Not until he posted his pictures.  That is one tall fella

Yeah, i didn't appreciate him being so tall! I'm usually the tallest one in most of the pictures I'm in.  [-(
  • Greeno55
    @gabriegger - I remember the conversation, but recall WE didn't agree to let it rest, it was more a please let it rest coming from you. :)) Cheers!!!
  • Little Steven
    Funny thing happened to me. I was at the tent directly across from me looking to get some of the Denver cut lamb ribs but they weren't ready. Walking back something hit my face hard. I thought it was a Junebug. I get back to our area and my son looks at me and says "Did a bird sh!t on your face?" Everyone starts laughing as I wiped a 1/4 pound of sh1thawk crap off my cheek.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Sorry Gary - no pictures from me - except for the porchetta - caught it going on and coming off.

Mr Holloway reports having eaten some 'funky' chicken a few days before and being 'indisposed' on Saturday.  

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Funny thing happened to me. I was at the tent directly across from me looking to get some of the Denver cut lamb ribs but they weren't ready. Walking back something hit my face hard. I thought it was a Junebug. I get back to our area and my son looks at me and says "Did a bird sh!t on your face?" Everyone starts laughing as I wiped a 1/4 pound of sh1thawk crap off my cheek.
    Aw, you didn't deserve that!