Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Jimmy Dean-style Breakfast Links

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

The sausage making bug hit last week. It had been too long since I have made any. Quickly settled on two kinds, Jimmy Dean style and cheddar brats. Started off with 10lbs of pork butt from Hirsch's in Plano

Ground that all up

Mixed in the spices and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Got it out the next morning and fried up a batch to taste to see if it needed adjusting.  Then stuffed it into 21mmm collagen casings. I used these one from Academy.

This was what 4lbs netted me (1 lb was kept in bulk)

Simple to cook up, just pop it in the oven at 350F for about 15 minutes or until it reaches 150, turning halfway through and you've got this.

The sausage was really good. I think I added too much sage, but the wife and a co-worker thought it was really good. The recipe I followed is from a guy named Kevin P on the Smoke Ring Forum. He really knows his stuff when it comes to sausage.

Jimmy Dean-like Breakfast Links

• 5 lb pork butt, ground
  •  36 g kosher salt (about 5 tsp)
  • 1.0 g ground sage (little over a tsp)
  • 2 g red pepper flakes (add more to your taste)
  • 2 g thyme leaves (little over a tsp)
  • 3 g black pepper (1.5 tsp)
  • 2.5g ground coriander ( (little over a tsp)
  • Optional: 1/3 cup real maple syrup**
    **I find it too sweet & don’t add it.
  • 20-24 Sheep casings(or make a large chub to slice!)

As for the cheddar brats, I left that recipe at home so you are going to have to wait until tomorrow to get that one. Sorry.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    That looks great.

This post is going to push me off the fence and spend some money on a meat grinder :)   

Any suggestions on equipment?  Not really interested in breaking the bank...  just want something that is serviceable and low-frustration level.

thanks,

-smak

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks great griffin. I NEED a grinder too. Not. But, I am going to get one. My first thoughts were the KA attachment until I heard it sucked donkey nads. What do you have?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Options
    I'm using the Kitchener #12. About a $100 2 years ago at northern tools. It can grind and stuff, but for stuffing, it's a 2 man job and can be a pita depending on how "sticky" your sausage recipe is. LEM makes a similar model. For the stuffer, I'm using the 5lb vertical stuffer by LEM. About another $100. Entry level stuff, but it gets the job done. Make sure whatever stuffer you get had metal gears, not plastic.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Great stuff, Girlfin!! :D
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    Looks Great!
    Rowlett, Texas
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Nothing says breakfast like sausage links and Jack Daniels!  Nice looking links and thanks for the recipe.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks great I will wait for the cheddar brat recipe. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Thanks for the informative post Grif. I need to get off the dime and do this myself.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

I'd say your sausage looks great but that sounds so wrong :D

Been wanting to do my own sausage for a while, thanks for posting the recipe!

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Great post!  I need to try this soon.  I bought a KA with meat grinder and have been grinding my own burgers, the KA grinder seems to work fine so far.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Griffin
    Options

@Dyal_SC - why I oughtta...Pow! Smack!

@td66snrf - I was thinking the exact same thing (obviously by the picture :D )

@jfm0830 and @CigarSmokinEgger - once you go down the sausage making path, you'll never look at store bought the same way again.

@SoCal_Griller - that's good to hear. I've heard many complaints before, glad you have a different experience. How big are the batches of meat you are grinding?

Rowlett, Texas

• JRWhitee
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have the KA as well and have not had any problems although I do not do large batches, I only make sausage for me. Please don't forget the post the Cheddar Brat recipe I want to make those. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Options
    Aw crap. I forgot it again today. Sometimes I can be so forgetful. I'm like the guy on that movie that ties a string around his finger to remind him of something, but then he can't remember what the string is for he has so many.

Rowlett, Texas

• Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I was in the great state of Texas earlier this spring to attend UGA's baseball series at A&M (we got swept...). Anyway, we stopped along the way Friday and I had a jalapeno cheddar cheese sausage at a barbecue place, it was far and away the best sausage I had ever eaten. Once back home, I got on LEM's website and ordered some high temp melt cheddar cheese. I am going to try and replicate that sausage. If it works out I'll post pictures and the recipe.
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Aw crap. I forgot it again today. Sometimes I can be so forgetful. I'm like the guy on that movie that ties a string around his finger to remind him of something, but then he can't remember what the string is for he has so many.
    No problem, I wasn't going to do them today anyway. Thanks though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Options

Tim (Watkinsville) Do you remember the name of the place? I made some Venison Jalapeno Cheese sausage using 50/50 venison and pork. Came out pretty good, but I wasn't thrilled with the jalapenos. They had a bit of a crunch. Next time I might saute them a bit or use dehydrated jalapenos. I'd also use hi-temp cheese. The cheddar I had just melted away. image

Rowlett, Texas

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Looks great griffin. I NEED a grinder too. Not. But, I am going to get one. My first thoughts were the KA attachment until I heard it sucked donkey nads. What do you have?

It sure does.
    Flint, Michigan