Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do I Know Which Grid I Have?

I bought my Large in June 2012 and am trying to figure out if I have a porcelain or a stainless steel grid. It came pre-assembled, so I didn't take anything out of the box. Is there a way to tell?

I jumped on the bandwagon for the Grid Extender Group Buy so I need to get a Medium Grate. Dealer told me it would be $50 for the SS one. Does that sound right?

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Porcelain grid would have been black from the start. Stainless grid would be shiny and still have a metallic look when you brush it. If you still can't tell, put a magnet to it. Magnets won't stick to stainless.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    i believe the porcelain coated one is black or a dark color and the SS is shiny and yes thats about right for a BGE grid 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    Thanks! Hmm...I'll have to check when I get home. I think I may have the porcelain one, but I thought those only came on older eggs and that newer ones had SS. Did they make that change just recently?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i got both my eggs last year one in june/july and the other in september both have SS 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

Thanks! Hmm...I'll have to check when I get home. I think I may have the porcelain one, but I thought those only came on older eggs and that newer ones had SS. Did they make that change just recently?

If I remember correctly(not a strength of mine), the SS grids started appearing on Eggs in 2011.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA