Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Rub starter pack

Options
My Egg will be in tomorrow! And with all my new toys I figure it's time to spread my wings and venture out from my very very limited knowledge and use of rubs.

So far I have been using Alegro marinade on steaks and most of my pork and Chef Paul Prudhommes Blackened Redfish Magic for my chicken and as my general purpose rub. Pretty much everything else in my grocery isle stinks.  So, I need a place to start experiementing.

I was thinking I would be best off buying the variety pack of dizzy pig that has a small shaker of everything they make and getting a large container of there Dizzy dust for doing my Butts and ribs I plan on cooking this weekend.  

I guess my question is, "What's the best place to start with Rubs?"  (loaded question)
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Obviously, there's no shortage of answers on this one. I use Montreal Chicken Spice on (surprise, surprise).... chicken. Almost any of the Paul Prudhomme rubs are great. I especially like the DP Pineapple Head. Have used it on salmon and grilled pineapple slices, among other things, and both were fantastic
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    The DP variety pack is a fine starter. The Tasty Licks sampler is a good value.

You will want to try your hand at homemade. Basic rubs are quite simple. I came across a recipe some years ago by an old timer who did the whole hog roasts for the county fair in Tennessee. I didn't record the proportions but it was mostly salt and sugar, with black pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. Most stores have raw sugar, seasoned salt, and a nice chili powder mix (I like Mexene). Those make a decent rub.

Add mustard powder, paprika, onion powder, other chili powders, cumin, etc. etc.  I must admit that most of what I've made so far has been rather lackluster, but at least the flavors have been pretty clear, and I avoid the large amount of salt that many mixes have.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    It's kind of like asking what beer to try first I guess.  Just grab some and try it!   

Better question.. Who all has a starter pack that's worth trying out?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Skip the John Henry starter pack. Out of 5 or 6, I used all the Texas Chicken Tickler and ended up tossing the rest.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• clew84
    clew84 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good question - looking forward to the responses. I have lurked awhile as I have failed to pull the trigger on a LBGE but will soon. 

When I made ribs on my Weber kettle I made a good rub on my own from a recipe I found on amazingribs.com that was pretty good called "Memphis Dust". Making the rub was fun but I will probably just buy from now on. I recently bought some rubs from Dizzy Pig and Everglade that I found at Jungle Jim's that are really good.

I have read great things about Oak Ridge Rubs and really looking forward to getting some of those but first the egg before any more rubs!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mickey's coffee rub is great on steaks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I am  big fan of Cluck-N-Squeal!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oak Ridge Rubs has a $5 sampler with free shipping. Good rubs. 

+1 on Dizzy Pig.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oak Ridge bbq's sampler is reasonably priced and their rubs are great.

The Simply Marvelous variety pack is awesome too. I loved every rub in it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Skip the John Henry starter pack. Out of 5 or 6, I used all the Texas Chicken Tickler and ended up tossing the rest.
    I've been pretty happy w. several of the John Henry's, but, yeah, the Texas Chicken Tickler is just right.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    That's a pretty darn good start. All have some form of sample pack or variety pack.

1.) Dizzy Pig 
    2.) Oakridge
    3.) Tasty Lick's 
    4.) Simply Marvelous
    5.) John Henry

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I haven't tasted Tasty Lick's offerings, but I feel Simply Marvelous should be in your top 3, if not top 2. Of course, I don't know what your taste preferences are, but I've cooked with Dizzy Pig, Simply Marvelous, and Oakridge. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    caliking said:
    I haven't tasted Tasty Lick's offerings, but I feel Simply Marvelous should be in your top 3, if not top 2. Of course, I don't know what your taste preferences are, but I've cooked with Dizzy Pig, Simply Marvelous, and Oakridge. 

TBH, at this point I really don't know what my taste preferences are either.  That's kind of my goal out of this is to try enough stuff to figure that out.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Nice tank man,my second love is saltwater aquariums what kind if skimmer you have?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Nice tank man,my second love is saltwater aquariums what kind if skimmer you have?
    Warner Marine MFK 251. I broke it down before moving and sold the tank. Still have enough equipment to start a new build up to about 400g, but don't have the space.  
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    I like Oakridge and Dizzy pig when I am not making my own.  They are both great and lower in sodium that a lot of commercial rubs.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The $5 oakridge pack is a no brainer.

I grabbed the dizzy pig pack and the Simply Marvelous pack as well.  Looking forward to playing with all the different flavors!
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    The John Henry Pecan Rub is my favorite right now.
    Wiggins, MS
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Dizzy Pig
    Oakridge BBQ
    John Henry
    The John Henry Pecan Rub is my favorite right now.
    That stuff is REALLY good!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Mickey's coffee rub is also incredible on turkey.  And pork chops.  I haven't snorted it plain, but I'm sure it would be good that way as well.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    so far I got a pack of decent size bottles of one of everything from Dizzy Pig and from Simply Marvelous. I got small packets of one of everything from Tasty licks and from Oakridge. 

I have enough rubs laying around to experiment with now!  

@saltysam do you have a link to the recipe?
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Equal parts brown sugar and instant espresso (powdered).  1/2 parts- black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder. 3/4 part- ancho chili powder.

I used Medaglia D' Oro instant espresso once and fresh ground coffee another time.  The instant espresso had a better texture, and tasted a little better overall, although ground coffee worked fine.

Do NOT substitute regular chili powder for the ancho variety.  Normally Mexican groceries sell it bulk if you can't find it in a supermarket spice aisle.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE