Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Tavern Ham aka Cottage Ham Recipe

I cooked my first Cottage ham this weekend in the Dutch Oven on my  Egg and was very happy with the results. I picked this ham up from a family owned, 100-year old butcher shop on a road trip through Ohio called Stehlin's. They use a salt and sugar cure and smoke these for 24 hours with hickory - if you are ever in the area, I suggest you visit - you won't regret it!  http://www.stehlinsmeatmarket.com/

This recipe was as follows:

Fresh green beans and diced Red Potatoes on the bottom of the dutch oven 

2 lbs. bacon
Tavern Ham
Two (2) People's Brewing Company Moundbuilder IPA beers for liquid
Few pinches of dried garden peppers (jalapeno, etc)  for some kick

Plate setter legs up, cooked at 350 - 375 F for 2 hours and polished off two more of those IPA's while the food was cooking ;) 

Delicious!

Comments