Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Philly soft pretzels?

I grew up on these things and can't get them now that I'm in Va. Was trying to think of something fun to bring to a 1 year old birthday party this weekend and landed on soft pretzel bites baked on the egg. Pretzel salt already ordered from amazon! I'm kind of excited.... Any advice??

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    dip them in boiling water mixed with food grade stump killer, helps turn them that darker brown when cooking. make some with pretzel salt and caraway seeds

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Not sure what the pretzel bites you're talking about are but I've made sourdough pretzels and hamburger buns before. If you're starting with your own pretzel dough it is imperative that you boil them in a baking soda solution for about a minute before baking them. That's what gives them there chewy texture. I can give you the recipe I used if your interested.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013

Not sure what the pretzel bites you're talking about are but I've made sourdough pretzels and hamburger buns before. If you're starting with your own pretzel dough it is imperative that you boil them in a baking soda solution for about a minute before baking them. That's what gives them there chewy texture. I can give you the recipe I used if your interested.

Just bite sized soft pretzels! Would love your recipe if you have it handy!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    I'll have to get the recipe at home this evening. They're very easy to make and taste great. They do require a sourdough starter (but that's not really so hard to do either).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Sorry fishless, but I'm not quite getting the bottle of poison in your picture.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    That's the must have ingredient for browned crusty pretzels!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Alton Brown's soft pretzel recipe is excellent and pretty simple.   
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    rtt121 said:
    Baking soda can be used in place of the lye.
    dip them in boiling water mixed with food grade stump killer, helps turn them that darker brown when cooking. make some with pretzel salt and caraway seeds

And the pint o' porter is for dipping I assume

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180

rtt121 said:

Baking soda can be used in place of the lye.

Did I mention kid friendly? I think I'll opt for the baking soda :)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    The kids might also prefer something a little lighter than a stout!
    Lager?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Even a nice pale ale.
    baking soda can be used but its like substituting a good bourbon with water
    :)) definitely try a few with caraway seeds and salt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    edited June 2013

baking soda can be used but its like substituting a good bourbon with water
    :)) definitely try a few with caraway seeds and salt

I do love caraway seeds! I will! Thanks!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I have been using Alton Browns recipe for quite some time and really like the way they come out. I also use Baking Soda in the boiling solution.  I've also used the dough to wrap hot dogs to make pretzel dogs like they sell here in Lancaster, PA.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    @Jamieoro, here's the link to the sourdough pretzel recipe that I use.

Replace step 5 in the recipe by dropping the formed pretzels into a pot of boiling water/baking soda solution. I usually use a 4 qt. pot filled with about 2 qts. of water and just pour in 1/4 box of baking soda. You can google the process and you'll find a number of different ratios and times for boiling. I usually boil mine for 30-45 seconds each and then take them out of the water with a slotted spatula. Give each pretzel a quick shake and then right onto your baking sheet.