Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Finally did a brisket

LDRLDR Posts: 273

All my cooks had been fairly short before this attempt.  I had a 5.5# CAB choice flat from Edwards. The rub was 2 parts coarse black pepper, 2 parts kosher salt, and 1 part granulated garlic.  I used Ozark Oak mixed with four good sized hickory chunks on an LBGE.  Platesetter was legs up and had a drip pan with some apple juice.

Time and grate/meat temps were
8:15     255   61 (start)
9:15     264 133
10:15   259 156
11:15   270 163
12:15   268 171
1:15     262 172
2:15     257 178
3:15     261 194
4:30     270 203
pulled to FTC at 4:30 and sliced at 5:45

It came out alright, and pretty moist, but seemed a bit salty.  However, it disappeared quickly.  I'll have to hunt down some Byron's for the next one. I also think I'd pull it a few degrees sooner next time.

I also got a chance to use my new FoodSaver v3820.  It worked very well.

·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,057
    Well played for a first briske...
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,950
    Good looking first flat.  I know Byron's get's a lot of publicity but before you go and put it on a big 30 to 100 dollar piece of meat throw it on a burger or a chicken breast.  There's a bunch that like it straight up, there is also a good amount of people that "cut" the Byron's with some turbinado sugar. Just my .02 cents.

Brisket is the toughest meat to get right, it will probably take you a few before you are actually completely satisfied with your results.  I'm still working on mine. And I've done 3 or 4 flats and 2 packers.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • n2wdwn2wdw Posts: 47
    Looks great.  how did you measure the grate temp?
    ·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 273
    I've got a Maverick thermometer. In the third image, you can see where the probe was (upper left corner of it).
    ·
  • Cool JazzCool Jazz Posts: 9
    Looks great. I did my first brisket 3 weeks ago and over cooked it a little. Turned out more like shredded beef than sliced brisket. Yours looks perfect. Good job.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,711
    Great result-congrats!  You set a prtetty high bar for the next one-always a fun and challenging cook.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 273

Thanks all - I'm happier with it today as I have it for lunch.  I just realized I'm cutting through the slices with a flimsy cheap plastic fork.

·
  • looks great to me. 

·