Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this worth 400?

Options
Guy will build it for me plus any stain and poly finish the table any color I want for 400?  He'll also deliver to my house....

Large BGE

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    What kind of wood is he using. I'd want at least an inset for a non-wooden work service to have a place for some prep work and to set something hot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks similar to the BGE table design, so from that standpoint it is probably a pretty good deal since the BGE table is significantly higher.  However like @TexanOfTheNorth, I would rather have a hard working surface, i.e., granite, concrete, tile, etc.  I know a guy who builds them for about the same price with about half the tabletop being granite.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    By the looks of it there isn't even 100$ worth of material there. I'd say di it yourself.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Options
    Three times the cost of materials is the old mantra for woodworking projects that I was taught.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Guy said about 150 in materials is what the materials cost is....

The problem is I have no tools to build a table like this so me building a table is simply out of the question.

Large BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Couple of things I noticed.

1. Looks like he used deckboards for uprights could be wrong there
    2. Moment connection on the axles
    3. Seams on the tabletop would be hard to clean
    4. Shawdy finish around the uprights
    5. No clearance around the egg...real hazard
    6. egg on paver with no air gap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• that_dude_Dave
    Options
    If you like it and you can't build one yourself, then whatever price you are willing to spend is the right price. 
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If building your own is not an option I would pull the trigger. @ little Steven concerns are legit so I'd pass them on to the builder. Shouldn't cost anymore. One more thing. I would go with smooth top hardwood plywood instead of the T1 -11
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Higgy
    Higgy Posts: 35
    Options
    Just think if you are getting it made, request the upright wood to be bigger, the egg weighs a ton. If you have the space I would request a bigger top surface, you could never have enough.
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I had about $500 in mine. Ipe frame, slate tile, epoxy grout, casters
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN