Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maverick et-732

Options
Hi all...I just ordered a special edition all black version of the maverick et-732 with free shipping.Getting my egg in two  weeks and figured I needed one of these.Do you guys wrap your probes with foil??

thanks
Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Oh and by the way...Lambs rum and a credit card are to blame for this transaction lol!!

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    I'm new to this but after I read several people recommend it, I do.  Also try to run the wires to go over one of the legs of the platesetter. Puts the wire in a lower heat area.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    I have heard of shorts and other issues.Has anyone used one of these for a few years without issue when wrapped in foil?

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've had one for 3 years, probably used it once or twice a month and haven't burned up the probes yet.  Most of the time when people burn up their probes they have put them into the Egg without the cooker being stabilized and the fire gets away from them. If I'm cooking below 275* I don't wrap the cords, if I'm cooking above that temp I wrap the cords.

Also if you are using the plate setter as your indirect piece I run the cords so they are over the legs of the plate setter so they are not over open flame.  Hasn't happened much since I got my Adjustable Rig, but just another thought.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I wrap my probes with two layers of foil, it isn't a big issue, lasts for months.  I burnt up about three sets of probes, some cheap and some more expensive!!  And it might(?) not be necessary, provided the cables are in an area where they are not exposed to direct heat from the lump below??  But then, when i cook, i also enjoy a few beverages, and there is always that possiblity that the cable gets relocated as the dome is closed???  Since i started wrapping my probes, i have not lost a temperature monitoring device???
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have been using a set of replacement probes for 6 months with no issues. I route over PS leg and put a piece of folded up foil under the cable.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I haven't used mine many times, always routed the cables over the leg of the platesetter but have never foiled.  They've both failed after about a half-dozen uses.  I may have briefly immersed the meat probe in water, I figured that's what destroyed it, but the pit probe went the very next cook, and it hasn't been washed.  They've not been used in anything other than a lo-und-slo.
    Wrap yours in foil, never immerse them, and let us know when/if they fail.  Good luck!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No issues with mine, except the probes went a little wacko for a short time. Once dried and wrapped no issues. 
    Only use on indirect cooks and route cable over the setter leg at the 4 o'clock position, one setter leg should be at the rear in the center, the hot spot. 
    Geez, you've been waiting for that egg longer than most pregnancies. 
    (Understand about the Lamb's, been there, done that)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Been waiting six months now but already got AR,thermapen,dizzy pig and a maverick et732.Will post pics in two weeks when I get it.If i drop and break it while puttin it together ill lose my mind!!!

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    I always wrap the cables with alum foil.  I went thru 4 probes due to ??? heat, moisture, washing??, so now I wrap.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    So do I only wrap the junction between the probe and the cable or the entire cable from probe to outside egg?

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

So do I only wrap the junction between the probe and the cable or the entire cable from probe to outside egg?

I only wrap whatever can be exposed to flame or heat. From the probe, it works to about 2 feet.

You're are one prepared dude. With all the stuff you've got so far, you could already have your egg! Lol.

Pretty awesome stuff canman
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • CANMAN1976
    Options

Thanks cazzy.Yes I could have my egg  but we are making an effort to spend fathers day with our folks and thats where the dealer is located so there is no need for us to make two trips across the province as its about a 10hr drive....gonna do it all in the one week-end. As for "the stuff" i'm done for awhile ...been doing a little to much spendin lately.The high Q will have to wait I guess.

My next cook will be a cook....I promise!!!! lol

Jamie Out!!!!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @CANMAN1976 - here's a hint for Mav probe cleaning. Pick up a package of alcohol swabs (<$2 for 100). After each cook, wipe down your food probe, then your Thermapen then the pit probe. I'm amazed at how the alcohol removes food bits. Much better than trying to wash the probe. 
    I'm convinced that my initial, wacko probe performance was related to moisture getting into the probe cable junction rather than heat. Most of it could have come from low and slow smokes, but I prolly helped with washing them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Well thanks guys... gonna try the alcohol, tired of trying to wash the probe and not trash the cable w/water.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)