Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Mini Egg? Yes or No? All commentary/opinions wanted

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,350
    We all have valid opinions about the mini and I might as well air mine.  I have used the mini to feed the two of us and I have used the mini to feed 12 people with no problems.  The menu was potato salad, rajas, 4 pork tenderloins and a buttermilk pie.  Granted the cook was done in stages, no different than most Thanksgiving dinners, but the family did sit down and eat at the same time.  
    Is the mini worth what I paid for?  For me yes, for you..that is your decision to make.  
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 799
    My opinion will be unpopular.  I have a large and a mini.  I love the large and wouldn't trade it for any cooker, no matter what the price.

The mini is also very good on grilling.  I have not used it much at all for indirect or low and slow.  So, for me, I think a much cheaper Weber would do just as good as a mini.

I know Mickey will have me banned from the forum for my blasphemy, but I really don't see the "added advantage" of the mini.
    I'm another blasphemer and would go for the Smokey Joe. I use mine a lot and it's a lot lighter than the mini. Plus, dirt cheap and I did a thanksgiving turkey breast on mine at the beach and it turned out great. I love my BGE but I also like to have additional tools in my arsenal.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • bonedaddybonedaddy Posts: 5
    Holy crap Mr. powder hound. Nice discussion you started. I think a mini will be in the back of my truck.
  • bonedaddybonedaddy Posts: 5
    Get that mini and cook a tri tip. Everyone will be happy!
  • bonedaddy said:
    Get that mini and cook a tri tip. Everyone will be happy!
    I know just the place to get me one!!  :-bd
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow.