Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meatloaf bite results

JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
I thought up the idea to make mini turkey and pork meatloafs wrapped in bacon. Apparently they are called moinks. Made some full sized meatloaf while I was at it. Pleased with the results. Mixed in sautéed onion, zucchini, peppers, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, and raging river into the meat mixture.
imageimageimageimage

Money shot!
imageimageimage
image.jpg 918.2K
image.jpg 636.4K
image.jpg 770.8K
image.jpg 719.3K
image.jpg 2.2M
image.jpg 2.2M
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    You forgot to say what time dinner is.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    @Mickey I actually got full off a few of the bites and my husband had to leave for a softball game, so there are 2 full loafs left! Come on over!
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,576
    Cool idea. Looks great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,744
    Did you fully cook the mini meatloafs before doing the bacon wrap,  or did you go to a lower temp, wrap them then go to full temp?  They look fantastic.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2013
    Yum yum! Moinks are actually meatballs wrapped in bacon. Meatloaf bites sound better. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    edited June 2013
    @scottborasjr- I cooked them to about 140 internal before wrapping in bacon. They were still moist in the end but I would probably cook a little less pre-wrap next time. Most went into the freezer though and will get wrapped and go in the egg semi frozen, so they won't overcook
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    those look great, very impressive to have the idea and execute in the same day.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,298
    Can we get married? It might be hard with significant others and kids and what not, but damn! Hot damn! Looks amazing!
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,644
    Moink Balls are well known in EGGLand. Your version looks good
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • If we had seen this three hours ago, you might have actually had visitors to help you with the loafs.  Looks delicious!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Those look awesome. Nice job.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • bccomstockbccomstock Posts: 335
    I like the idea of mini meatloafs.. Could even stuff them with some cheese.. Yum.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,450
    Awesome! Nice job

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 252
    good morning judge - what a cook....i am on the meat loaf plan this week after looking at yours!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,582
    The mini-meat loaf is an excellent idea for an appy and those look incredible. I just ate lunch and the "money shot" made me hungry again.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • HiggyHiggy Posts: 34
    This is next weekend. I will make them while I am brewing my beer.
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,220
    Could you do them all from the raw state? Is there a need to precook?

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
    I
    hondabbq said:

I'm not sure, but would be open to other opinions! I mainly did the pre-cook bc I didn't realize how long they would take to crisp the bacon, wanted to make sure they got fully cooked and I wanted to get some smoke flavor on the meatloaf part. What do others think?
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,415
    Excellence!!! \m/
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,272
    I have a crush on you.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,975
    Jamieoro said:
    I
    I'm not sure, but would be open to other opinions! I mainly did the pre-cook bc I didn't realize how long they would take to crisp the bacon, wanted to make sure they got fully cooked and I wanted to get some smoke flavor on the meatloaf part. What do others think?
    I think it is worth experimenting with next time - pre cook a portion of them less than you did this time then wrap and cook longer, while a portion of them get wrapped from the start and see what happens. I would be happy to offer my services as a taster!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·