Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for small egg crate Ideas

Hi all. Just priced a small BGE at the local Home Hardware. $1000.00 plus tax will get me the egg, 2 side tables and nest. No plate setter. That's extra. I may have to go south of the border to go shopping. I wood like to make an egg crate so that I can take it with me in the RV. Any ideas? It should be light weight. I saw one on here quite a while ago that had 2 handles and was made with 2 of the sides made from sheet metal but I don't remember who had it.help would be appreciated. Any 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    its is an egg carten.  you can find it HERE.  @Mickey and @Solson both have them and i do believe they are big fans.  I'm on vacation next week and gonna build an wooden crate idea i've been thinking about for a while for my mini but i only take it to the mother in laws occasionally.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    You are looking for a eggcarten sir, google it and you should get where you need to go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    And @U_tarded beat me to it. I was trying to find the link but distracted by the kids.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • U_tarded
    And @U_tarded beat me to it. I was trying to find the link but distracted by the kids.
    its because i got whiskey motivated google foo skills.  and no children and nothing better to do on a saturday night
  • Scottborasjr
    @U_tarded trust me I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night then look at the forum, then again that has become every night.  My exciting evenings are when I get to cook. And unfortunately tonight was not a Egging night.
  • U_tarded
    Scottborasjr maybe we should start a 12 step program.  when I work past 8 pm (about 5 days a week) i rarely egg those nights but I dang sure make sure to read 2-3 pages worth of posts while indulging myself.  lets just say the wife isnt a fan of the forum but i could have worse habits.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Scott is on hold for the time being on egg cartens. He is relocating. I think he is going to get settled before he takes any more orders. I have an order in for one and have been communicating with him. There was a post about it earlier this week.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Getting ready to fry some shrimp & oysters.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    Before the Carten I was using what Beli suggested. And only about $25. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Here is our mini packed and ready to go. It never has to leave the CARTen.  
    After cooking empty the coals and douse them.  Takes about an hour to cool down then ready to go back in the car.  
    Note:  we have run into several older wooden picnic tables that cannot handle the heat generated by the bottom of the egg... We use to cary two fire brick for that reason, but we bought a nest several months ago and chucked the bricks. We have not had any problem with any tables we have encountered so far.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Here is our mini packed and ready to go. It never has to leave the CARTen.  
    After cooking empty the coals and douse them.  Takes about an hour to cool down then ready to go back in the car.  
    Note:  we have run into several older wooden picnic tables that cannot handle the heat generated by the bottom of the egg... We use to cary two fire brick for that reason, but we bought a nest several months ago and chucked the bricks. We have not had any problem with any tables we have encountered so far.

The only thing that would look better in the back of your car would be two yeti coolers!! Especially since you are in Austin. :D
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Here is a pic of the eggcarten for the small egg. I travel with it weekly and highly recommend getting one once Scott is back up and running. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • How hot does bottom of egg carten get with the small?  You don't just set it on that nice wood stand do you?  Saw somebody above in thread used fire bricks under theirs
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966

The only thing that would look better in the back of your car would be two yeti coolers!! Especially since you are in Austin. :D
    All my tool cases are Pelican's and they have 23 years of abuse by me (backed over one-road rash still works), the airlines and TSA,  so our double insulated cooler is a Pelican.. .
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

Way back when there were lots of 'do-it-yourself' ideas floating around, I came up with this for my first transporter/on-site kitchen.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/leroymcmillin/media/SmallEggTransporter1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/leroymcmillin/SmallEggTransporter1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Notice the skinny legs and Chicken Feet.  I thought of that...

Very stable and highly portable.

It worked well until it got wet and disintegrated.

The only reason I'm bringing it up now is because if you decide to build your own, consider some of the features in mine.  Like the 'wings'.  That worked really well.

If you're looking to buy one, The Egg CARTen is only available for Mini's at the moment.  Or it was the last I heard.  But it is an excellent device.  Well designed and built.  And worth the price if you travel with your Egg.

Spring "My Eggs No Longer Travel" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Thank you everyone for your posts. The egg carten was what I had seen previously. I now at least know what to call the thing! This was helpful.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911

How hot does bottom of egg carten get with the small?  You don't just set it on that nice wood stand do you?  Saw somebody above in thread used fire bricks under theirs

I use this shower stool and have no problems. I did a pork butt for 8 hours and have zero marks or anything on the teak stool. I've ran tests with my IR thermometer when I did a turkey and it did not heat up very much. You could always use a metal table if your concerned about heat issues.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.