Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do we over thing rubs sometime?

Options
This last weekend, I didn't have any rub made up or store bought. So I just seasoned my baby backs with a a little lawrey's, pepper, pepprika, anda touch of garlic and onion powder. Just sprinkled it on. Didn't use any sugar. After 4 hours, i brushed them with a little honey then sauced them about 15 min at the end. They were the most beautiful mahogany color and the taste was just perfect.. I am always looking for the perfect rub but in reality keeping it simple is what yielded the best ribs to date. Cooked them low unfoiled like I always do 250 ish.

Comments

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    I agree. Sometimes I get the same impression too.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    +1. Variety is the spice of life. I'm always trying to do things in a different way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    what you used are the basics for most store bought rubs.....first thing I do when I pick up a bottle of rub or sauce is read the ingredients....quick way to see what's shaking in the bottle.......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Sometimes i think it is just the amount of rub that we use, and not the rub itself!  I have had ribs where the rub is "overpowering" and just cut back the amount and it comes out perfect? 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Basics, you used the basics. The honey as part of the glaze and finish helps with the texture and color. Home made rubs are a staple in my house, we use quality ingredients. Usually from Penzey's. Keep the spice/herbs fresh. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Basics, you used the basics. The honey as part of the glaze and finish helps with the texture and color. Home made rubs are a staple in my house, we use quality ingredients. Usually from Penzey's. Keep the spice/herbs fresh. 
    Penzeys....shipping to Canada from there is crazy,actually costs more than the spices do.You must pick yours up do you Skiddy???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My fav rub on meat is super simple - salt, cayenne, cumin. Once in a while I just put that on meat and it tastes so good. Its fantastic on pork and beef.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Penzeys....shipping to Canada from there is crazy,actually costs more than the spices do.You must pick yours up do you Skiddy???
    Jamie - Yeah, I have 'em shipped to a US address. Over $30 ships free within the US. If you see some you like let me know, next order I'll include it and then mail to you. With Canada Post. it's the same cost wether across the street or across the country. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!