Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Failure

Seems every time I do anything turkey it comes out tough
today I did a whole bird(stuffed)
PS legs dwn, drip pan w/ ½ and ½ water and apple juice, grid. Pecan for smoke
350 dome (Cyber Q WIFI) breast to IT of ±165 thighs to IT of ±185
I did some legs a while back and they were tough to.
Had great flavor but REALLY tough
What am I doing wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• Do you brine them
  • The next bird you cook try a brine, I brine anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. I bet that will help.  
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    chris123stock I have done MANY whole birds on my Phoenix Gasser and have never brined em, they were fall apart tender had to take em off with a spatula .
    What do you use for a brine?

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Try this, do it all the time and always very good. Spatchcocked Turkey (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub (see below) Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Brine that bird! It will make a big difference. I brine turkey, chicken, and pork chops.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• dougbacker
    BRINE????? Salt water????

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• I use 1 gallon of hot water, put it on the burner, 1 cup of kosher salt. a table spoon of rosemay, thime, and sage. Bring to a boil, then cool. once cooled I put turkey in a bag, get a big bag. Put turkey in bag and then brine into bag. Then put in cold water let sit for 12 to 24 hrs. Its easy there are others just look around. I do brine, not always, just something to try. Spatchcock is another good idea, fool proof unless you want to stuff the bird, but I am sure there is a fixfor that as well. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

I'm with @Mickey in the spatchcock camp but also do the "conventional method" but unstuffed.  And if you are looking for quite a recipe-check this out-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm Granted a good bit is focused on the gravy so you can audible as you wish.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dougbacker
    lousubcap   @Mickey
    don't you guys know spatchcock is for chickens :-t
    Turkeys HAVE to be stuffed  >:)

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• One thing to remember if you do brine, it will cook quicker. I did a 21 lbs at 350. It took 4.5 to 5 hours. It was stuffed. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yep, brining is the way to go. It will cook quicker as mentioned above. I brine overnight, let dry in the fridge for another night then smoke.

Was the meat dry? You can pull the bird when breast hits 155 and thigh is 170 ish. Foil and rest, the temp will go up another 5 deg or so.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dougbacker
    caliking no it was REALLy moist, the juice just ran out as it was cut. It was just REALLY  tough

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    It is very hard to find a whole turkey that isn't already brined!!  Some butcher shops here have them, but ONLY during the holidays!!  As stated above, smoking any poultry must be limited or you can have a piece of tough nasty tasting product on your plate!!  If i do a whole turkey, it is done indirect, placesetter legs up, grid at gasket level, cooked at 325 degrees. covered totally in foil until the finish temperatures are achieved, then removed until it browns properly.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Why don't u brine Mickey??? Seems to be the prefered method????
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    There are many ways to enhance your turkey cooks. Brine, inject, season under skin, etc. Having said that I find it very hard to understand how you can produce a tough bird of any kind on an Egg. Nothing keeps poultry as moist as an Egg, with the possible exception of braising in a closed pot. You have me stumped. Maybe a bad bird???
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    I would check out amazingribs.com. He has a great article about whole turkey/chickens and why "stuffing" is a bad idea. For what it's worth.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    IMHO, I do a lot of chicken  ( spatch) and never brined,   I cook indirect 350F, until the proper temps, always turns out great.  Skin crispy.  I try not to open the lid until close to the presumed time.  Seems to keep the moisture in.

As far as turkey, the 1st cook of 6 legs turned out tough.  I think it was because I was opening the lid and checking temp.  The 2nd time started at 275F,  after one hour raised to 350.  Turned out very good, moist.  The only time I brine is when I'm deep frying, seems to matter there.

Lastly, after I got my "confidence" up, I did a spatch turkey,  Methinks the spatching improves heat distribution and more predictable cook time.  The spatch turk turned out pretty good, moist.

Well...just saying.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Mickey
    edited June 2013
    Why don't u brine Mickey??? Seems to be the prefered method????

I was about to come back and change my answer on brine. Never before a few weeks ago when I cooked a lunch for 55 at he house and part was 3 turkey breasts. AlwaysGolf told me to do breast only for this deal and to brine them (and gave me the brine). Lots and lots of chicken/turkey cooks zero brine and very good cooks. But this was even better. I am now going to start overnight brine on all. Now thick pork chops always got brined by me. Sorry, just forgot about the brine. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dougbacker
    Mickey is that a Plate Setter I see in there?

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I haven't done a turkey on my BGE and usually deep fry them. I always do an overnight brine. I also get my turkeys from a local turkey farm so I know that they are fresh (and never been frozen). It could be that you just had a "bad" bird.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    If(?) i could buy UN BRINED whole turkeys i would cook more of them.  Recently i started brining my spatchcocked chickens and the difference is shocking!  I use a commercial product called "Chickite" as they recommend  4 ounces per gallon.  The chicken seems to cook in it's own juices.  One of Myron Mixon's cooks tried it and i had to buy him a box of it !
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Well I guessI'm gonna have to try the "Chicklite"..Sounds interesting.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Mickey
    Mickey is that a Plate Setter I see in there?

Yes and I gave it away about 3 days latter. I hate them and now after giving away two, no worries

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Sometimes I brine. Sometimes not. Brining will break down the meat the longer you leave the meat in so just be aware of that. It will create a more tender product. Two things I see in the OPs original post that may contribute to a tough bird. First, what did you stuff it with? Unless its stuffed with aromatics (herbs, citrus, etc.) and if it was stuffed with stuffing you may get a tough finished product. Stuffing usually finishes after the bird is done. That creates other issues, but one of which may be a tough bird. Second, the bird itself. If the brand you use comes out tough pick a different brand. I don't like to use any bird with any solution added. Water or otherwise. All natural and nothing added makes a difference. Don't care if its free range or rover or whatever. Just care it's all natural. Good luck,with your next cook!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Seems every time I do anything turkey it comes out tough
    today I did a whole bird(stuffed)
    PS legs dwn, drip pan w/ ½ and ½ water and apple juice, grid. Pecan for smoke
    350 dome (Cyber Q WIFI) breast to IT of ±165 thighs to IT of ±185
    I did some legs a while back and they were tough to.
    Had great flavor but REALLY tough
    What am I doing wrong?

Are you buying free range birds?

Steve 

Caledon, ON