Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast help!!!!!

Options
I'm doing a 8 pound turkey breast to day on my Xl I'm going raised indirect at 375 breast side up until temp of about 180....now I'm doing this on the half moon grill extension....so I can do my wings at the same time...and I will cook my abt's first...do my fellow edgers see a problem with this or am I going in the right direction...and also this breast is bone in...and I'm thinking of using a little peach wood to give it that nice flavor of sweet on top of the heat....thanks for any input!!!! HAPPY EGGING!!!!!
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• FireTower
    FireTower Posts: 69
    Options
    I love smoking turkey breasts. I think cooking to 180 is way too high. When you pull it off it will continue to cook and dry out. I'd pull it at about 155 and let it "coast" to 160. 

I always brine mine. Sometimes I put fresh herbs under the skin (thyme, parsley, chive, etc.) which gives it a nice flavor too. 

Good luck!
  • FireTower
    FireTower Posts: 69
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I always spatchcock my birds. They cook faster and more evenly. The key to not drying out poultry is to get it in the oven and up to temp as quickly and efficiently as possible. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    use cherry wood, will give a great deep color.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013
    Options

Check the package directions and make sure the breast isn't already brined??  You could double brine it and it will be salty.  I like to inject my turkeys and turkey breasts with "bitter orange marinade", they seem to be much juicier throughout the breast.

Be careful with smoke, it can overpower the mild taste of turkey.

• BigGreenHead
    BigGreenHead Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @charlie tuna...I didn't brine it at all...I used the redneck turkey method....evoo ,vegetable spread,rub and injectable creole butter...fridge for 12 to 24hr
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I didn't know rednecks used EVOO... just assumed it would have been Crisco.  :))
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.