Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Couple of recent cooks from a relative newbie

Almost a year into my BGE purchase and I couldn't be happier.  I'm not a good cook by any stretch, but this thing makes it damn near fool proof.  A couple of recent cooks:

Baby back ribs (I'm getting better each time).  Was also making a pot roast, which turned out so-so:

Pizza.  Still struggle with the transition to the pizza stone:

Beef tenderloin.  Expensive, so I was a little scared about this one.  Only thing I'd do differently next time is ease up on the hickory.  It came out a little over-smoked:

Being the only omnivore in a house full of vegetarians means I freeze a lot of individual portions of my cooks for mid-week meals.  I heated up some of my left over, frozen tenderloin in the microwave for just a minute, then added to a skillet where I was sauteing some onions in butter/worcestshire sauce.  Made the best sandwich I've ever had:

Being the only one eating this, I sometimes run out of ideas on what to do with the frozen leftovers.  Tonight my wife was making Chinese steamed buns, and I know they're often served with pork in the middle.  I had one portion of frozen pulled pork left over from a cook a couple of weeks ago.  Thawed it, chopped it to a little finer consistency and added a little soy sauce before putting inside some of the buns.  Delicious!:

I like my Looftlighter a lot, but WTF!  This happened about two weeks ago as I was lighting the charcoal for some burgers.  

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    Those ribs look amazing. I'd say you have arrived.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,806
    Those ribs look amazing. I'd say you have arrived.
    +1
  • yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 374
    Everything looks great! 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,431

Nice looking cooks, thanks for sharing.

Pizza to the stone trick....use parchment paper.  Roll the dough on the paper, slide the paper onto the stone, once it starts to "crust up", pull out the paper. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• way to bring it dude. nice.

• AJTAJT Posts: 5

Pizza to the stone trick....use parchment paper.  Roll the dough on the paper, slide the paper onto the stone, once it starts to "crust up", pull out the paper. 

Very stupid question ahead:  Is parchment paper the same as wax paper?

Because on the last set of pizzas I made, I tried the above and ended up with the wax paper bonded to the bottom of the pizza.  (Hey, I made the disclaimer in the first post that I'm a **** cook, lol).  :)
  • AJT said:

Very stupid question ahead:  Is parchment paper the same as wax paper?

Because on the last set of pizzas I made, I tried the above and ended up with the wax paper bonded to the bottom of the pizza.  (Hey, I made the disclaimer in the first post that I'm a **** cook, lol).  :)

they are not the same

• CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,097
    I did the same thing to my Looftlighter early on. Learned not to stick it way down in coals. Amazing how quickly it gets hot enough to melt aluminum.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • AJTAJT Posts: 5

The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    they are not the same
    That sure explains a lot!  :D
  • TiggenTiggen Posts: 6
    Parchment is impregnated with silicone IIRC. That food looks incredible.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,127
    Nice cooks, especially the bao!
    +1 for parchment paper

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,909
    That tenderloin looks perfect. Sorry to read that you felt like it might have been a little too smokey; hope you still enjoyed it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.