Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Whole chicken in the Egg

My second time using the Egg.  I love chicken so I wanted to try it.  It was a whole chicken, a little under 6 pounds.  I used a simple brine of water, kosher salt and sugar.  I brined it for about 14 hours.  Then I took the chicken out, washed it with water, squirted a lime onto it (didn't affect the flavor but I read someplace that lemon or lime can take care of in case some bacteria developed -- not sure if this is true but I had a lime going bad so I used it).  Then I rubbed on a liberal amount of salt and pepper (my favorite seasonings for chicken).

The Egg got to 600+ degrees quickly (I was doing yard work so did not pay attention).  I was able to get it down to about 275 by closing the vents. Reducin the temperate helped when I tossed in the mesquite chunks I'd been soaking in water for about an hour.  The chicken was in at 275 for about 4 hours, and I took it out when the internal temperature got to 166.  I wrapped it in foil for about an hour.

Here's the chicken right before I wrapped it in foil:

[img]http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd510/n2wdw/dd641e50-2919-462b-9f98-58de02fcd7ab_zpse6d16f86.jpg[/img]

Comments