Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Is this essentially the reverse sear? (Keens Steakhouse - NYC)

Skip to 1:10 to get the the "meat" of the story.  :)  

** Note that the chef has a yellow Thermapen next to him during the story.  

Comments

• njlnjl Posts: 749
    Sounds like it.  I wonder how much difference it makes to wait until after getting it up around 100F to salt/season the outside?
  • That is a version of the reverse sear. I've eaten here several times and will be going back in 3 weeks. It's pretty good but a really cool place. Very old school steakhouse. I work down there a few times a year and we go get hammered and eat steaks there when I'm in town. It's like 1920 inside that joint. think it's been there for that long or more.

• corb69corb69 Posts: 70
    I'll be in New York the last week of June.  I plan on visiting.
  • BeerIAmBeerIAm Posts: 21
    Definitely a cool place to go if ever in NYC.  Gotta love all the history and old pipes hanging in the ceiling.  Everybody I go with seems to also like the mutton but that's not for my taste.
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    The setting is old school, great, old clay pipes on walls / ceilings.  I have eaten there twice in the past year, both times I ordered the 62? oz prime cut, and I have to say, the texture, visual and taste of the steaks were not what I would consider prime cut, and there was no sear.  It was as if the meat was cooked "sous vide" and not even seared for the texture / taste.  Both times I took a cooking friend, and quite honestly we will not go back, esp @ $65-75 per steak.

I am saying this because I ate there after working as a contractor in the place many years ago...and the steaks were great, can't remember reverse sear tho.   Sorry to say this about a place with such an historic origin.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)