Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large BGE Owner

Options
JohnL
JohnL Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello eggers,[p]After reading this forum for a couple months and comparing what was coming off my weber grill to all the nice pictures I saw from the BGE posted here, I decided to take the plunge yesterday. My wife and I drove to Grove City, OH and bought their last Large BGE yesterday. I still need to get a few accessories, like the grill extender, I'm thinking about 2 of them, one to go under the main grill for a pizza stone as a heat deflector, and another to sit on top of the main grill for more cooking area.[p]I'm going to start my first cook tomorrow morning, as we're having about 30 friends over for the 4th. I went to the market this morning and I now have 2, 8lb boston butts and 6 racks of ribs. We plan on eating at 1 pm on the 4th. I'm going to put the butts on tomorrow morning at about 8 am, hopping they are done by 6 am Tuesday, so I can then put the ribs in the inverted rack and get them on, giving me about 5 to 6 hours to get them completed. Do you guys think I'm allowing enough time? The boston butts will be cooked according to Elder Wards step by step, and the ribs, well, I have to try Cat's ribs, since everyone raves about them. [p]Anyway, wish me luck and if any of you have any pointers, please let me know.
Looking forward to many many nice recipes and trying new and different things on the BGE. By the way, I hope to take pictures to post of my first cook and post for all to see.[p]Thanks,
John

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    JohnL,[p]Weekends like this are why many on the forum have 2 or 3 eggs. I'm thinking of joining their ranks soon. Anyway, I think you're wise to leave plenty of time for cooking the two 8 pounders.The only problem is that you'll probably need to check them in the middle of the night so that you can turn the heat up if necessary near the end of the cook. After they're done, wrap in foil for an hour or so before pulling. I don't like to let it sit much longer because the meat will get mushy
    You should get enough Pulled Pork for about 30 sandwiches, hopefull a couple of vegetarians will allow enough Que for seconds for the cook.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JohnL,
    I am guessin' your butts will take 20 hours at 250 indirect. Don't get yourself in a situation where you are sleeping soundly when you cruise past 200 internal temp on those butts! Maybe 10 am is a better start time, or even noon. You only need about 4 hours for the ribs.[p]Cat's ribs are unique and wonderful. Can't go wrong there! Still our favorite.[p]Look forward to seeing your photos. Have a blast!! You are junpking in with both feet. Or both butts![p]Happy porking
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JohnL, Welcome aboard and if you have followed along on most of the postings the last month to 3 years or more, you will be well versed on the BGE's functions..Hollar if ya need current advice..Cheers..C~W[p]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    JohnL,[p] Welcome to the family! One word of caution on the double grid extender thing. I tried hanging a grid extender under the main grid and it actually touched the coals (I had a pretty full load of lump in the BGE). It does work well on top of the grid, however.[p]MikeO