Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toronto EggFest - Dickson's 4th Annual

Options
gabriegger
gabriegger Posts: 682
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
A wonderful day down at Polsen Pier in Toronto with a westward view of the Big Smoke. 

Didn't bother with the skyline but it is spectacular.  You'll have to come and take that in for yourself next year.  Weather calling for thunderstorms today but the boys at Dickson't BBQ must be in the good books as the threat held off and the sun found its way out of the great Ontario grey skies.
Mike, Phil, Rob and all the staff did a great job and a tip of the hat goes out to them for organizing and putting the event together.

The day was just what it was meant to be.  Great food, new eggers, thinking about egging eggers, old and new friends getting together and enjoying the day.  Finally got to meet Little Steven; Fred19Flintstone and family up from the USofA.  Thanks to all the cooks sweating it out in the heat, banging out great dishes.

1imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I was supposed to pull herself out of the store but turned my back put the goodie bags in the trunk.  Two minutes later there she is shopping like a mad egger.  Here she is on the second run .

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Man I'm totally shot but a great day

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks like a great time and some great pics.  That stuffed pig is awesome! :@)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    SP It was! They put it on raw at 8:00 this morning and served about three. They de-boned and stuffed with sausage. Our Italians call it porchetta

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That pig snake thing looks awesome. Whose the doosher in the last pic? :))

Looks like a great day had by all. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My best received dish of the day: Grilled Molson

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My best received dish of the day: Grilled Molson
    I bet it was. Looks like a great day. Glad you guys had fun. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dude! IMHO it doesn't qualify as a fest cause there is no pre party or after party and you don't get that blazing hangover that you really deserve but I gotta say the cooks are incredible, not traditional and very ethnic. Some bombs there today. My friend who is a fourteen year egger did sardines, freshly flown in from Portugal with a salsa verde and calves liver with double smoked bacon and egg fried red onion confit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Dude! IMHO it doesn't qualify as a fest cause there is no pre party or after party and you don't get that blazing hangover that you really deserve but I gotta say the cooks are incredible, not traditional and very ethnic. Some bombs there today. My friend who is a fourteen year egger did sardines, freshly flown in from Portugal with a salsa verde and calves liver with double smoked bacon and egg fried red onion confit.
    wow! Why the hell don't they do the parties?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @LS-with groceries like that you can create your own hang-over inducing experience.  Looks like a great time regardless. Sounds ike a resounding success in terms of cooks, tastings and cameraderie. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's a one day thing. There are a lot of them out there. Sux but it's what happens. When I get my XXL I'm gonna have Little Steven fest and stike, zip, fidel and FLA poolman will be here. It will be a two week event and my wife, Mr. Cooking Nurse, Focker and any other medical practitioners we can come up with be standby by as well as cooking with IV, detox and Demerol. Really looking forward to it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's a one day thing. There are a lot of them out there. Sux but it's what happens. When I get my XXL I'm gonna have Little Steven fest and stike, zip, fidel and FLA poolman will be here. It will be a two week event and my wife, Mr. Cooking Nurse, Focker and any other medical practitioners we can come up with be standby by as well as cooking with IV, detox and Demerol. Really looking forward to it
    My medicine is not of the prescription variety, but I'll put it up against anybody's :))

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It was my first Eggfest, and I truly appreciate all the effort the cooks put in- and really enjoyed sampling all of the creative dishes!

It was great to meet and say hi to @littlesteven as well.

@littlesteven- do you think you could get the recipe from your friend for that calves liver? I loved it!

Thanks to all!!
  • Little Steven
    Options

I assume you are coming?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Looks like I missed a good one. Damn, should have put my renovation on hold for a day :(
    canuckland
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    We missed you there Gary.  

Steven - let me know when the Little Steven fest is happening - I'll bring drugs!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Had a great time at my first Eggfest. Can't believe how much food I ate. Then went and watched my Bruins beat the Penguins on a 39 foot TV. A day for the memory bank. Thanks to all the cooks. Tough to say what the best dish was, but getting the first piece of that stuffed pig was memorable.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Little_Steven, if I get to come to the Stupendously Gigantic Little Steven Eggstravaganza I wear my Ski Patrol vest and nothing else. I'll just strategically place my patrol pack to hide the goodies. Lotsa space for beer.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    We had a wonderful time at the Eggfest... lot's of great food, including some kangaroo sliders.

@Greeno55, that was me (with my wife and 18yr old step-daughter) who took over your table. Sorry that I did not recognize you from your picture to introduce myself.

@FredFlintstone19... It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. Glad you were able to make it up.

@LittleSteven, nice to meet you and your wife. We went up to the Newmarket Costco yesterday after the fest and picked up 3 bags of the lump. Used some last night to do some sourdough pretzel buns and burgers. Yeah, believe it or not,we were hungry at dinner time in spite of all of the great food we ate during the day.

I've for the Niagara festival penciled in for August.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    John (I hope) Great to meet you too. Wish we had more time to talk. You wouldn't believe how much food we went through. We'll see you again soon for sure. I was talking to Greeno and we talked about a get together at my place through the summer, hope you can make it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I assume you are coming?

If you are talking to me, then yes I am coming.If you were not talking to me, then yes, i am still coming.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @Little_Steven, John is correct (you've got a good memory). Count us (I assume spouses will be included) in for a get together!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    chocdoc said:
    We missed you there Gary.  
    Steven - let me know when the Little Steven fest is happening - I'll bring drugs!
    Good healthy drugs I hope. The lady that was cooking with me was completely enamoured with your stuff. She is a very accomplished baker and she was wowed. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @Gabriegger, thanks for sharing, hope to see you at Niagara in August.

@chocdoc sorry to miss your creative baking/cooking, no pictures?

@LittleSteven, sounds like you had great fun, did you share tent with Mr. Holloway? haven't seen any post fest post from him yet.

@cheech5001, @TexanOfTheNorth, @Greeno55, hope to see you at Niagara.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Gary, I've called and e-mailed him several times. He was supposed to be beside Kerry and didn't show. Hope everything is OK.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Steve, he was pumped and posted his practice cooks at GE, I hope he's OK as well.
    canuckland
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@gabriegger are those cooks in two of your pics also promoting their own stuff (rub/spice mix)?

If so, is that normal at an eggfest?  Figured that would be tightly controlled by the organizer?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Canugghead
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @BigWader, I can't speak for LS' grilled can, as for the lady showing the rub/spice ... it appears to be a Big Green Egg rub, I'm guessing the taster wanted to know what she was using.  Last year I was using DP pineapple head to grill pineapple and I was asked repeatedly what spice did I use.
    canuckland
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @BigWader I wasn't close enough to hear the conversation. I was just shooting. I think they had product at the on site store as did the cluck & squeal crew last year
    @Canugghead - we are hoping to make it to Niagara this year. Will look for you for sure.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Man sounds like you guys had a great time at a great fest!

@Little Steven: I would love to see some pics of your cooks - the prep you posted about sounded so good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    edited June 2013
    Options
    caliking said:
    Man sounds like you guys had a great time at a great fest! @Little Steven: I would love to see some pics of your cooks - the prep you posted about sounded so good.
    I didn't even take a camera. My business partner and his family were there, they might have gotten something. I'll post if they did. Gabriegger caught me in a line change

Steve 

Caledon, ON