Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear question

Options
I usually use the Trex method, but wan to try this one.
Just a few questions..
1) i like my steak between med rare and medium. At what temp should I take off steaks before searing?
2) Do you put any oil on steak before searing? I usually put a bit of olive or corn oil before the Trex sear.
3) Direct or indirect for the initial cook?
Thanks to any who help!!!
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    1) I would go about 125 degrees if you are shooting for med-med rare on the initial cook.
    2) I don't use oil, but no reason why you can't.  I think olive oil might burn but if you have tried it before on the t-rex then go for it!
    3) Indirect on the initial cook. 

After the indirect, remove the steaks and let the egg heat up.  Make sure the temp has stopped rising.  Hit them for just a 60-90 seconds per side.  The goal isn't really to cook them much more, just put a crust on them.  Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    1) I would go about 125 degrees if you are shooting for med-med rare on the initial cook.
    2) I don't use oil, but no reason why you can't.  I think olive oil might burn but if you have tried it before on the t-rex then go for it!
    3) Indirect on the initial cook. 

After the indirect, remove the steaks and let the egg heat up.  Make sure the temp has stopped rising.  Hit them for just a 60-90 seconds per side.  The goal isn't really to cook them much more, just put a crust on them.  Good luck! 

@SmokeyPitt   Bingo!! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited June 2013
    Options
    +1 to SmokeyPitt

I am sure your steak will be great but I have been thinking a lot about reverse sear vs early sear. It makes sense to me that for a steak, TREX is a better method.  With a roast, reverse sear is the way to go.

My logic is that with a steak you are only cooking 5-20 minutes depending on thickness (actual time on egg).  So your time in the desired meat temperature is inevitably going to be shorter, ie.. less room for error in when to pull it.  Searing it first will rarely overcook your meat in the middle if your doing it right.  Searing at the end leaves your temp in "the range" tougher to get as the higher heat is tougher to predict.  Once the temp comes down and the meat goes back on at low and slow temps with TREX... your meat has a longer time in that desired temp range for you to pull it.

With a roast a reverse sear at high temps will have very little affect on the internal temperature and may provide that slightly extra crunchy delicious crust.

Sorry for bourbon induced ramblings..

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @rtt121 - Hope it was Woodford

Good advice.  Let us know how it turns out.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just try several methods and you'll find what you like. Last night I did a reverse sear... Finishing with a lodge CI skillet.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @rtt121 - it depends. Some might suggest that reverse sear, cooking at 250 grid until desired internal, say 115 if medium rare is the desired finish, it is easier to not overshoot the 115 when things are happening slowly. We have some 1" steaks on for 20-30 minutes before pulling and preparing for the sear finish. 
    The idea with a reverse is to get the same finish edge to edge with a finished crust. With TREX the outer 1/4" is usually medium to medium well while the center is medium rare. 
    Also, always wipe the surface moisture off your rested steak before the sear. It will mahogany up very nicely. 
    Folks like what they like and whatever works. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Well....got my kids dressed, ready to drive the 20 mins the best butcher I know, and...Realized my wife went out and took my keys! Now have to wait until tomorrow. Arrrrgggg
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith