Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bitter Taste

Options

Im having issues when I cook on the BGE. For example, Ribs.. I will cook a few slabs of ribs on the egg and sometimes I use Apple, Hickory or Mesquite wood chunks (not all 3 at the same time)  I have a bitter taste or more of a lightly burnt taste on the ribs and Im not sure why. I am cooking them for 5hrs or so at 250ish deg indirect.

I dont get this taste with Rotisserie Chicken or Steak or Boston Butt

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    G\Hey EH.. How long after the lighting of the charcoal / wood chunks do you put on food??  just askin cause its been my learned experience to let the nasty VOC's burn off before adding food.  The general thot is that the newly "combusting" wood or lump fuel releases "volatile organic compounds" which are untasteful, bitter.  The rule of thumb is when the Egg exhaust smells good ( not bitter / pungent ) that's when to put on the food.  I generally let the lit coal/wood burn off at least another half hour after the egg comes to desired temperature.

BTW, mesquite is an intense, strong flavor, wisely used limited.  I have finally learned that it is not the "smoking" coal/wood that adds the flavors, but the mostly rendered, burnt embers.  My daddy told me that if you can see the exhaust, just wait till it clears.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    The my daddy told me at the end.... Very nice advice @cookinfun

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Well...thank you Grader,  just sayin..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Grader07
    Options
    Np Its always good info when it comes from the ones before us
  • Grader07
    Options
    Cookinfun do you put your smoking wood off to side or right onto your lit lump???
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Do you have a drip pan with burnt drippings right under the food?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great advice so far...I think the culprit is likely putting the ribs on too early.  One other tip is that whole slabs often hang over the plate setter (on a large egg or smaller), so either cut the slabs in half or use foil to ensure none of the ribs are in the direct path of the heat coming around the plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Hey all. Sorry for the delay response, been busy. I let the egg get to temp and usually wait about 30min or so before the meat goes on. The smoke is clear coming out of the egg with just the lump burning. Before I put the meat on, I then place the wood chunks on. Soon as I can get the PS and grate on, then the meat goes on. Is this the problem? Putting the meat on right after the wood chunks go on? Obviously the smoke goes from clear to milky white.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Most likely.

Usually when I let it come to temp and add the wood chips... the simple act of opening the lid is enough to start a flame.  This makes it burn the wood instead of smoldering which to me is the white smoke vs blue smoke.

Give it 5-10 after closing and then toss ribs on quick.

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • rtt121
    Options
    Also.  If I read your last message right OP it sounds like you throw a cold PS on with the food?  I think that when you add the PS it restricts airflow vs an egg with nothing to make it indirect... initially this is making your lump smoke white again too.  Best to let the PS come up to temp before meat goes on IMHO.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

When I do open the lid for what ever reason. its not for a long time to where the wood chunks catch fire. Next time Ill wait the 10min or so after the chunks smolder before I put my meat on.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Also.  If I read your last message right OP it sounds like you throw a cold PS on with the food?  I think that when you add the PS it restricts airflow vs an egg with nothing to make it indirect... initially this is making your lump smoke white again too.  Best to let the PS come up to temp before meat goes on IMHO.

The PS is already in the egg heated up. I simply take it out, put the chunks on, replace the PS, grate then meat.
  • rtt121
    Options
    10-4

I thought I may have misinterpreted.  I think you'll be ok.