Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt injection?

First time poster here. I have a butt on the egg as we speak, been there for 3 hours. I was thinking about using some injection, but wasn't sure what to use. Any suggestions? And can I inject during the cook or should I do it before. Thanks- John.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Not needed but would need to be done before the cook. Some popular ones are pineapple or apple juice. I have 2 on right now too- at 176 so right on schedule.
    Greensboro, NC
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I like to inject and use freds music and BBQ website for guide. Here is the link for his injection recipe and below is the instructions I posted on this site awhile back, good luck!

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/136.htm 

Rinse them off with cold water and trim off any offending little things you or don't like the looks of. Put in aluminum pan, cover with plastic wrap (this is your protection from squirting injection stuff) 

OR

Leave them in the cryovac ..and inject THROUGH the cryovac ..then after you 
    inject them , remove from cryovac, lightly rinse pat dry etc.

Inject the meat every 1 inch or so , really pump it in there.  Drain off excess injection in your pan.  Liberally coat entire meat all sides with the rub. let sit ... one to 12 hours . I perfer one or two hours. Get pit to aprox 225 ti 250 deg. at grate . In the Big Green Egg I try to use 260 dome temp.  Add wood chips, chunks, / etc. (I prefer Hickory) 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @Jevans926-you can inject during the cook-after the stall-gives a different flavor profile.  If you go that route be sure to warm your injection to almost boiling before juicing up.  Try the search function as there are many different injection recipes including strained Italian Dressing.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I always inject and it is before the butt goes on the grill.  I have tried many different injections, the best i have found is "Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade" -- 12 ounce bottle will do two butts, it is thick, and NO , the butt will not taste like Teriyaki, it just gives the butt a good rich gravy taste.  It will not absorb much -- like 6 ounces.. 
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Here is the recipe that I use by Chris Lilly's Championship BBQ Recipe
    Chris Lilly Shares his recipe for Championship Smoked Pork Shoulder at the 2012 Atlanta Food and Wine Festival
    Author: 
    Recipe type: entree
    Prep time: 
    Cook time: 
    Total time: 
    Serves: 20

During the BBQ and Uncommon Wine Pairing Class,Chris Lilly demonstrated and gave us tips on the proper way to inject and cook the perfect pork shoulder
    Ingredients
    • 12 to 16 pound pork shoulder
    • Injection ingredients:
    • For the pork shoulder rub
    • Pork injection
    • ¾ cup apple juice
    • ½ cup water
    • ½ cup sugar
    • ¼ cup salt
    • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
    • *The sugar and salt act like a brine for extra juicy meat
    • For the Rub:
    • For the pork shoulder rub
    • ¼ cup dark brown sugar
    • ½ cup white sugar
    • ½ cup paprika
    • ⅓ cup garlic salt
    • ⅓ cup kosher salt
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
    • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ or Big Bob Gibson’s Championship Sauce
    Instructions
    1. Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.
    2. Chris’s Tips:Make sure you keep a pan of water in the smoker for the duration of the cooking time-High Humidity is the key to keeping it moist and delicious.
    3. You will probably need to replenish the charcoal during the cooking process,so keep a charcoal chimney filled with hot charcoal to maintain the temperature.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Have injected several times and just could not see much difference in the finished product. I don't inject but I'm a big fan of  a vinegar based finishing sauce.
  • Jevans926
    Jevans926 Posts: 6
    I appericate the suggestions. I've had my egg for 3 years, but this is only the second butt I've smoked on it. I've used apple juice on pork before (ribs) and being a Kentucky boy- I had to use a little bourbon as well. But I just thought I'd pick the brains of other people. I've gotten some good ideas to try next time...