Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt on Mini

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Does anyone have this cook under their belt? I think R2 does, but can't remember. I am going to the beach for a few weeks and am planning to take my mini egg. I would like to cook some pulled pork while there but uncertain how big of a shoulder I can fit. Will the lump hold up of have to be refilled? Obviously will cook her turbo method in honor if @Mickey himself.... Thanks for pictures in advance...
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Way to go. Bet 4 or so lbs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options
    @Mickey, yeah, I was thinking 5lbs, but probably less. I have never seen one that small though. We will see. Have you done one? 
  • Mickey
    Options
    No. But seen on both forums. Get a big one and cut in half. Get butcher to do it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Just put in "butt on mini" on old forum and lots of hits

• Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just put in "butt on mini" on old forum and lots of hits

Never been on old forum... you guys are all the friends I need. Joking... I will check it out. Thanks.

• Chubbs
    Options
    R2Egg2Q , what you got for me? I think I recall you posting a thread about this.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I've done 5+. As long as you don't mind if the dome touches it a bit. 5.5 I think it was. No refill needed if you go up to fire ring with decent chunks.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did a 6.5 pounder that I posted here recently with the plate setter. Biggest I ever went with the woo is 4.5 pounds. Lump went 7 hours with a little to spare on the 6.5 pounder.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    R2Egg2Q , what you got for me? I think I recall you posting a thread about this.

Sorry for the slow reply. I didn't receive a notification for some reason. A perfectly shaped 5 lb butt was the most I've fit on a Mini with a Woo (in the post scottborasjr linked). SkinnyV & Lit came to mind as also doing Mini butt cooks but I see they've chimed in.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I have done 3# butt on mini.  Turbo no problem.  Woo and pizza stone set up.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks all for chiming in. Can't wait to do this. I love packing the mini!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Do folks put a drip tray underneath? any problems with the drippings burning?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    There wasn't room under my 5 lb butt for a real drip pan so I just formed a tiny "pan" out of foil. There was some drippings burnt but I don't remember detecting any off taste.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA