Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Pork Butt or Shoulder?

• QDudeQDude Posts: 630
    I cook 2 butts (9 lb. Each) at 275 degrees and it has never gone more than 14 hours. Keep the dome closed and monitor with a Maverick.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Most shoulders I have seen where I live are called Pork Picnics.  They have a bigger bone and usually have the skin on, thus more waste.  I always opt for the butt, you can't go wrong.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    yzzi said:
    Also. You still have time to Amazon you some meat claws (bear claws is a brand name). They make the pulling job much easier.
    I took your advice on this one just now. Having a party for 50 in a couple weeks so this will help I suppose.
    It is the best purchase I have made for 'pulled' anything (beef, pork, chicken)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    I like pulling with my hands rather than the claws ... just a personal preference! My favorite pulled pork meal is eating morsels 'while' I'm pulling ... it never gets better than that!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 427
    caliking said:
    +1... I think. I didn't know there was a difference.

The raw weight to buy depends a bit on what else is on the menu - if you serve other proteins then you need less pork. On the other hand, there is no such thing as too much pulled pork. You can freeze it and use for all kinds of things e.g. tacos, burritos, nachos, pizzas, etc.
    @caliking - you most likely do not know as much about shoulders in your business. Wrong end.

Could not help myself, sorry.

Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • HiggyHiggy Posts: 34
    20 hours is about normal, you don't want to rush anything with higher temps.
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,225
    @Springram: touche my friend :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.