Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

13 lb. Meat Missile

Options
tinee2001
tinee2001 Posts: 19
.... I mean brisket :) Wal-Mart had choice packers on sale for $1.77/ lb, so I decided I needed to try my hand at my first brisket cook on the egg. I watched a couple of youtube vids on how to trim a packer but i might have messed it up. My goal was to remove most of the hard fat and leave a 1/4 inch soft fat cap on the flat. I ended up partially seperating the point from the flat while trimming the hard fat. I then rubbed it down with yellow mustard and equal parts Bad Byron's and turbinado sugar. Planning to put it on around midnight at 225 grate temp. I am very excited and will update as the cook progresses.

Comments

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    Dude, keep the photo's coming!   At a $1.77/lb, I may be heading to see what my Wally World has to play with.  I never look there.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    That is the exact nickname my wife has for me. Crazy.
  • tinee2001
    Options
    Looks like I might be finished early... Internal temp in the 170's since about 5 this morning. The dome temp creeped up on me to 300 for an hour or two ... Hope that doesn't ruin it.
  • TurtleCreek
    Options
    Looking good.  Hopefully the spike will not bother anything.  

How do you like ThermoWorks two channel Thermocouple?  Been using it long? I was wondering about durability after a bunch of cooks.
  • tinee2001
    Options
    I've had the thermoworks for a couple months and love it so far. The thermometer and probes feel well made and like they are built to last. The only downfall is that there is no way to monitor the temps remotely.
  • TurtleCreek
    Options
    tinee2001 said:
    I've had the thermoworks for a couple months and love it so far. The thermometer and probes feel well made and like they are built to last. The only downfall is that there is no way to monitor the temps remotely.
    Quick question ... Are the probes interchangeable for the alarm purpose? Meaning is there a way to alarm the BGE temp probe or is the alarm only set for the food probe?
  • tinee2001
    Options
    The alarm only works on channel 1... But you can plug either probe into that channel
  • TurtleCreek
    Options
    tinee2001 said: The alarm only works on channel 1... But you can plug either probe into that channel Cool ... no more questions then.  Thanks. I'll let you get back to the "Missile"
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tinee2001 said:

Looks like I might be finished early... Internal temp in the 170's since about 5 this morning. The dome temp creeped up on me to 300 for an hour or two ... Hope that doesn't ruin it.

You are fine. You still have a few hours to go. Sounds like you are stalled out or just coming out of it. All good. 300'wont hurt it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tinee2001
    Options
    Does anyone know whether I should test for doneness in the flat or the point? I remember reading that the probe should slide in and out like butter...
  • TurtleCreek
    Options
    I'd be looking for the flat temp.  More towards the center of it.  The larger ends will usually be 'done' before the center.  

What are you finding?
  • tinee2001
    Options
    Just FTC'd the missile! I was getting readings anywhere from 200 to 208 when I took it off. I'm surprised how fast this cook went ... Approx. 11 lb. brisket (after trimming) in just over 10 hours. I know the temp jumped up to 300 but the majority of time I was at about 240 grate temp. I will say that it did feel very tender when I picked it up off the egg. Now if I can just keep it warm til dinner...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I'd be looking for the flat temp.  More towards the center of it.  The larger ends will usually be 'done' before the center.  

What are you finding?
    That's not Accurate. Check in the thickest part of the FLAT. Should slide in with little resistance.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It will stay warm. Lots of towels and don't open the cooler. I went 7 hours last week and it was still piping hot.