Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Looking for lump in all the wrong places: Chicago edition

I live on the Northside of Chicago and need a good place to buy lump.  Everything around here has cowboy (Jewel, Dominicks, neighborhood mom and pops...), which I've been less than impressed with, and I don't really want to pay the markup for BGE brand.  Do any of you Chicago area eggers know of a good supplier with a good brand?  I don't mind heading out to the 'burbs, I can fold it into my semi-monthly excursion outside of Cook County to avoid Chicago's outrageously taxed $12 packs of smokes.
Chicago, Illinois
·

Comments

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,040
    Backyard BBQ in Willmette
    ·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    try walmart I just bought I believe Royal oak brand  17.7 lb bag on sale for $10.00 a bag 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 640
    Berger Brothers on Cherry Ave at Division is your best choice. They are a wholesaler and sell 20 or 40# bags of Royal Oak Lump really cheap. It's a little hard to find, only open during the week and cash only but a great deal and much cheaper than you can find anywhere else. Hope this helps. Berger Bros. 1176 N Cherry Ave (at Division St) Chicago, IL 60622
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
    Menards's carries Royal Oak, or at least they used to.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,086

I'm heading up to Chicago next month, I can bring you some of our bags.

I'll be in Crystal Lake at the DeLorean dealer, then hit IKEA in Schaumberg on my way out of town.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

·
  • avibugavibug Posts: 58
    Greenforest Patio & Fireplace on Belmont in Lakeview has Ozark Oak and Wicked Good.  I stopped in today for the first time.  They also carry the Dizzy Pig rubs, among others.  
    If you like wine, check out Howard's wine shop next door -- great shop.  
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562
    Berger Brothers on Cherry Ave at Division is your best choice. They are a wholesaler and sell 20 or 40# bags of Royal Oak Lump really cheap. It's a little hard to find, only open during the week and cash only but a great deal and much cheaper than you can find anywhere else. Hope this helps. Berger Bros. 1176 N Cherry Ave (at Division St) Chicago, IL 60622

If you are in the city, definitely head to Berger
    ·
  • ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 519
    Thanks all... Berger definitly sounds promising, I'll have to check it out. I've been to Green Forest to pick up dizzy pig, didn't realize they had lump too, will have pick up some next time I am on a DP run.
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • Late to the discussion, but

Grove Charcoal can be found at Mutual Ace Hardware in Highland Park or Sunset foods

$18.99 for 20#, sometimes $15.99 on sale.

·
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,086

I just got back from Chicago......had an opportunity for a fun photo in Schaumberg:

IMAG0490.jpg 902.3K

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

·
  • dajogejrdajogejr Posts: 12
    Restaurant Depot has a store in Chicago.  In metro-Detroit, they have 17.7# bags of Royal Oak for 8.99 on sale.
    ·
    "Wookin' Pa Wump in awe da Wong paces, wookin' pa wump..."

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,171
    =)) =))

I was thinkin the same thing Fred

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I've been singing "Looking for lump in all the wrong places" in my head this morning thanks to reading this thread title.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·