Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size for 2nd Egg?

I have an XL on the deck and am considering adding a second Egg for smaller cooks.  I do have a fair assortment of Eggcessories for the XL, so a second XL is not out of the question (in order to share accessories) but I think a medium might be the berries, as it also has a fair selection of add ons to make Egging more enjoyable.  I don't seem to see a lot of posts from people with the medium but I'm sure you are out there.  What does the group have to suggest?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mini
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mammammamama mini
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Medium!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Mickey said:
    Mini

Whoa!  I didn't see that coming from you!

Bettysnephew, what will you use it for?  Proteins for a smaller than usual group, something just for two or maybe you want something to make sides with?  Is portability a consideration?  A little more info please.

Flint, Michigan
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I have Med, Large, and XL.  The Med and Large get used about 45% & 45%, the XL gets 10% of the time.

If I had it to do over, I would have three Larges in a row.  Everything I do on the XL, could be done on two Larges.  The only reason I ever use the Medium is for a few burger or brats which I could just do on the Large.

I would recommend a Large, unless you're looking for something just for quick lunch cooks....then the Medium.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited June 2013

Bettysnephew, what will you use it for?  Proteins for a smaller than usual group, something just for two or maybe you want something to make sides with?  Is portability a consideration?  A little more info please.

Primarily for the wife and I.  Initially we were going to get a large but bought the XL because we got a really good deal on a package with many extras for a very reasonable price.  It is a wonderful machine and I love cooking on it for groups and when my children/grandkids come by.  Non portable is just fine as I plan to install it in the same table my XL is in, so that pretty much rules out the mini without a whole lot of adaptation and I prefer to not set it on top of the table.  Looking for something that is not quite the production of firing up the XL for shorter/smaller cooks.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Mini! Perfect for up to 4 people. I have the mini medium and large and primarily use the mini. I'd get it and an egg carten
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Mini or a small, I can't cook for less then five people so I'd say small, but the mini is very useful if you are cooking for less then 4 people.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    To quote Mickey..........mini!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Based on your answer to Fred's question, I'd vote Small.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Small
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i have large and mini.  i am very space restricted in my current back yard and i got a sweet deal on my mini.  400 bills for a mini naw get me a small or a medium for not much more.  the mini is quite a bit a fun and good for a quick small meal on weeknights/last minute.  

or you could  go with the old adage "as big as you can afford".  ideally i want 2 larges.  

some people suggest skip a size, i.e. small/large combo, xl/med combo.  I do know this, you never hear people say "man i wish i would have gotten a smaller egg."
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My next egg will be a small

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I have a large and seriously considering a Mini soon.
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Small vs. Mini depending on how many you cook for and how portable you want it to be. There are fewer eggcessories available for the medium so you may want to take that into consideration.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Between small and mini.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i have a XL and a large my next will be another large 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have an xl and a med. it's perfect for me. I have two friends with larges and I cook on them sometimes.

The med is a better companion for the xl
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    @travistrick- is the medium at all portable?
    Greensboro, NC
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If I take the guts out I can move it no problem. Very easy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Wolfpack said:
    @travistrick- is the medium at all portable?

Hell, Travis moves hisXL around.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited June 2013
    I have larges and a medium - the medium is perfect as a second for veggies or sides if you are cooking the main meats on the larger egg.  I use my larges the majority of the time...it was my first Egg and I guess I am just a little partial to it and the way it cooks.