Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE lump, does it matter?

Hello all,
I have not been on here in a long time, but I have gotten a GBE bug and am looking at buying one, soon.  So, my questions is, I heard that BGE lump is the only way to go.  I can't believe that it would make that big of a difference.
LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Royal oak or any that you like is just fine
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    It is NOT the only way to go.  Many good lumps out there.  Google charcoal lump reviews.
  • I use to use BGE brand but at 20$ a bag got old fast. Went to Royal Oak lump charcoal and works perfect at 10$ a bag.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Play around and find a brand you like, as long as it is 100% hardwood lump. The BGE brand is solid, the issue is generally price with it. My dealer has 20 lb bags for $30, but the last time I was in they also had a 'lump that shall not be named' for $24/22 lbs, or I can get Royal Oak at Wal Mart at $6.29/8.8 lbs or Wegmans brand for $6.49/10 lbs. BGE just isn't worth it at those prices.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Royal Oak makes BGE lump.  Buy RO and save some $.  There are other good brands as well.  Check out nakedwhiz.com for reviews on lump charcoal.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Any lump will do, I always look for made in USA or Canada. Not that there are extraordinary standards for charcoal production in either country, but some of the Mexican and South American stuff looked pretty strange. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

BGE lump is definitely not the only way to go.  Good lump, but not worth the price difference IMO.  I used my bag I got complimentary with the Egg and moved on to other far less expensive brands without a hitch.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    I get 18lb bags of Royal Oak at Wal Mart for $10 a bag.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Any lump will do, I always look for made in USA or Canada. Not that there are extraordinary standards for charcoal production in either country, but some of the Mexican and South American stuff looked pretty strange. 

+ 1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    I thought you were supposed to use charcoal briquettes!!! SON of a B!TcH.  jk
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN