Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BGE lump, does it matter?

Hello all,
I have not been on here in a long time, but I have gotten a GBE bug and am looking at buying one, soon.  So, my questions is, I heard that BGE lump is the only way to go.  I can't believe that it would make that big of a difference.
LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    Royal oak or any that you like is just fine
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 567
    It is NOT the only way to go.  Many good lumps out there.  Google charcoal lump reviews.
    ·
  • I use to use BGE brand but at 20$ a bag got old fast. Went to Royal Oak lump charcoal and works perfect at 10$ a bag.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 970
    Play around and find a brand you like, as long as it is 100% hardwood lump. The BGE brand is solid, the issue is generally price with it. My dealer has 20 lb bags for $30, but the last time I was in they also had a 'lump that shall not be named' for $24/22 lbs, or I can get Royal Oak at Wal Mart at $6.29/8.8 lbs or Wegmans brand for $6.49/10 lbs. BGE just isn't worth it at those prices.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    Royal Oak makes BGE lump.  Buy RO and save some $.  There are other good brands as well.  Check out nakedwhiz.com for reviews on lump charcoal.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,082
    edited May 2013
    Any lump will do, I always look for made in USA or Canada. Not that there are extraordinary standards for charcoal production in either country, but some of the Mexican and South American stuff looked pretty strange. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 683

BGE lump is definitely not the only way to go.  Good lump, but not worth the price difference IMO.  I used my bag I got complimentary with the Egg and moved on to other far less expensive brands without a hitch.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • STANGOJESTANGOJE Posts: 44
    I get 18lb bags of Royal Oak at Wal Mart for $10 a bag.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,743
    Any lump will do, I always look for made in USA or Canada. Not that there are extraordinary standards for charcoal production in either country, but some of the Mexican and South American stuff looked pretty strange. 

+ 1

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • grillman65grillman65 Posts: 56
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
    ·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    I thought you were supposed to use charcoal briquettes!!! SON of a B!TcH.  jk
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·