Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel as Heat Deflector?

Been trying to come up with ways to increase the true indirect cooking space on my Medium and have used fire bricks in the PS gaps and drip pans on the PS (not sure how well this works) but now that I know I can get a custom BS (confirmed via email yesterday) for a nominal fee I'm thinking about using one elevated on the fire ring with ss nuts to act as a heat deflector, like the Kamado Joe heat deflector.  Any thoughts before I pull the trigger?  Thanks!

Comments

• if this is just plain stupid, you can tell me, I have thick Mangrate skin :D
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited May 2013
    12 inch stone with 12-14 inch round pan about 1-2 inches above the fire ring is best. Grid at or slightly above the felt line.  The ID of the medium egg is approx. 16 inches, so 14 pan will leave 1 inch of open air around the edges for heat to rise.   t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I'd be hesitant to use steel as heat deflector.  The radiative properties that make it so good on browning pizza crust might not be a good idea for deflecting heat.  flame deflector - yes; heat deflector - maybe?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    As stated in a previous post steel is a excellent heat transferrer . That's why is makes such a nice crust . That being the case I would think it would radiate more heat than ceramic does on the food being cooked . If am wrong someone will correct me
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2013
    Think about a gas grill at 500 degrees you can't touch it where as a egg it's hot but not like a steel hood of a gas grill
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
  • Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

just listen to @tjv. That's Tom from Ceramic Grill Store in case you didn't know. He knows a thing or 2 about this stuff :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX