Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi There!

Options

Good day!!

After lurking for quite some time, it is time for me to post and at least say hi. I have learned so much reading this forum; from how to use and cook with BGE to different technics out there. So here goes my story with a few pictures of some cooks I did:

Got a LBGE around mid Feb. this year as an early b-day gift from my lovely wife. We had a day off during the week so we went shopping. At one point she told me she wanted to see some patio furnitures from this store. While in the store, I was looking at the BGE and she just came to me and said; happy early b-day! Finally after looking at those things for quite some time and keep saying that I will buy one at earch spring time, this was the year. Here she is all ready to be assemble waiting for me after we got her home:

Here is the first cook on the BGE. Simple lamb shoulder pre-marinated we bought at the grocery store. (still so clean)

Of course one of my next cook had to be a spatchcock chicken.

From there I started to experiement more. Here is some jerk chicken with some JD wood chips!

My first simple pizza.

There it is! I've been cooking with the BGE as much as I can. My wife love it but also complaint that it takes way to long for me to BBQ now. All I can say to her is that it takes time to cook a good meal and I have learned that you cannot rush it with a BGE.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. Send me some of those wings and will give you the official handshake info. You nailed that spatchcock as well as the rest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Welcome and some good lookin food there.  Since you've been lurking, you already know there is tons of good info here.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Looking good, nice cooks - very well done. Welcome to our little piece of chaos. 
    Once you get on to it and plan ahead a bit, I think the egg actually takes less time to BBQ. After the spatched bird hits the indirect grid (If I'm doing them that way) it is a Ronco, set it and forget it cook. The Maverick warns of temp issues. 
    Thank goodness for the Mav temp and time alarms, I'd forget that dinner is on the grill. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    The food looks good, I am glad to see you jumped right in!  Welcome to the forum!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Beauty of the Egg: two ways (many ways) to do everything including spatchcock chicken/turkey. I only go raised direct cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Welcome! Everything looks fantastic. 

How are you starting your fire? For a quick start, go with a MAPP or Looftlighter (sp?). You will shave a good 10 minutes or more off the cook. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome. It all looks great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Thanks everyone!

@jlsm I start the Egg with fire starting cubes. It usually take me between 5-10 minutes to get the egg at the desired temp depending on how much charcoal I use.

The cooking time 'complaint' is more due to doing indirect cooking than my typical direct fast cooking on a gas BBQ. She does admit that the indirect cooking and smoky flavor is way better so really it is not a huge issue unless the kids are getting cranky waiting for daddy to finish up!

@skiddymarker You are so right. I used to do a lot of flipping with my old gaser. Now that I learned how to cook indirect, it is so easy just to let it cook and do somethig else at the mean time.. perhaps few adult brevages.

Cheers and happy Friday!!

It is very how in Ottawa today. (about 37 degree or 98 fdegree for our southern friends!!)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Great start !!!  Welcome, and I hope to see many more pics from you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    welcome
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    Options
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Welcome, some great looking cooks
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Welcome friend, nice cooking. And love the photos.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    Welcome, very nice cooks. Very cool your wife got it for you. Nice pics, keep them coming. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My wife thinks a spatchcock takes 3 hours... More beer time. Also after dinner, claim exhaustion and the need to retire to the couch.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Welcome!  Good lookin' eats.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome! Nice cook. Keep them coming.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Welcome.  Contact NolaEgghead for your welcome kit.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

Welcome aboard! All the food looks yummy!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    Very nice.  Spatchcock looks great!
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Welcome aboard, you going to love ur egg
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Glad to have you- welcome
    Greensboro, NC
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Tixunau said:

Cheers and happy Friday!!

It is very how in Ottawa today. (about 37 degree or 98 fdegree for our southern friends!!)

Hello from the other side of the river!

Options
    On starting fire, this is quick. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Do you let the VOC's burn off before you start? Looks good!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Welcome aboard!! I am with @henapple on cook times You gotta make em' think you are bustin your arse.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • selmarichard
    Options
     Spatchcock Chicken looks great, we love our Egg.