Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken drumsticks

CatwomanCatwoman Posts: 7
edited 9:18PM in EggHead Forum
I am a new (large) egg user. Can someone tell me at what temperature (grill or dome level) to cook chicken drumsticks? Indirect or direct heat? Also, when a recipe states a cooking temperature is that temperature the dome temp or the cooking level temp?[p]Thank toy.
·

Comments

• EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    Catwoman,
    Dome temp 330 to 350, indirect, for 45 to 60 minutes will do the trick. I did 10 thighs this afternoon, dome at 350, indirect, for 60 minutes and they were running about 190 to 195 internal.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
    ·
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    EggRacer,
    I always do mine indirect at 275 till internal temp reaches 180.Remove and put your sauce on and cook for another 20 min.till the crust is where you like it.

·
  • JSlotJSlot Posts: 1,218
    I do chicken pieces parts at 350° direct and turn ¼ to ½ turn every 20 minutes until done (180° internal for legs/thighs & 165° for breasts). I also rotate my grid 90° every time I turn the chicken to compensate for any hot spots in the coals. You've got a couple other suggestions, as well. Try 'em every which way and figger out what works for you. Good luck![p]Jim
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    darnoc,
    I've been doing drumsticks indirect at 350 until 185-190 internal temp. I also remove the skin and rub with Tsunami Spin and let sit in the fridge in a ziplock for a couple hours before cooking. Never any leftovers and at that temp, the meat falls of the bone. -RP

·
  • katmankatman Posts: 331
    Catwoman,
    I usually do them direct at about 350, but nothing wrong with a low and slow. Last batch of drumsticks went on for the final 90 minutes of a rib cook. Indirect over the platesetter. Drumsticks and ribs make for some great finger food!

·
  • jake42jake42 Posts: 931
    2racks.jpg
    <p />Catwoman,
    Get some of these racks. 350 for 45 minutes to an hour direct. Perfect

·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Catwoman,
    When a recipe calls for a specific temp on "this' forum and recipe section, it typically means dome temp unless stated otherwise...[p]Wess

·
  • jake42,[p]
    Where do you get these bbq racks?[p]Thanks,[p]John

·
  • jake42jake42 Posts: 931
    John Ramos,
    I got them from Cabela's. no need to flip or anything. Set em' up, close the lid, come back when they are done.

·
  • John Ramos,[p]I got mine from lane bryant home just used them for the first time tonight ... no leftover must have been good:) I always cook chicken 2 hours on the grill at 275

·
  • Eric_HessEric_Hess Posts: 7
    I do my drumsticks direct @ 350º but I use an elevated rack. Turn every 20 minutes, once they have absorbed the smoke flavor and have a nice brown, I coat with BBQ sauce and let finish out the cook until 180º internal. I do not like my chicken dripping with sauce so I only put one full coat of sauce on and then let it cook in.

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    +1 on raised direct at about 350*. Takes about 40 minutes.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,450
    Fred

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 344
    Got my drumstick rack at ace hardware. $12.00

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·