Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aluminum foil and the plate setter

Options
I wanted to get everyone's thinking on using aluminum foil or a throw away aluminum pan on the plate setter in order to help keep it clean. Has anyone seen a difference in temperature control or any reason not to do this? After a few cooks, the plate setter is usually filthy with drippings. I turn it upside down, and instead of killing the fire, I let it burn as hot as I can get it to clean off the plate setter. This procedure also helps the sticking problem of the plate setter when it becomes difficult to remove from the fire ring.

My concern is that while I like the idea of using aluminum foil to help keep the plate setter clean, it would change the heat pattern in the Egg by stopping the radiation of heat from the stone to the grill. Same for a drip pan.

OK, so I get I'm a bit neurotic about this, but I'm curious what others think of using foil or a foil pan, and how they keep their plate setters clean. 

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I have a large and a 14" round cake pan fits perfectly on my placesetter.  I'll line it with aluminum foil for ease of cleaning.  I've noticed no difference in heating.  I also make sure to put an air gap between the placesetter and drip pan so the drippings don't burn.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I always cover my PS with foil, and on really drippy cooks use disposable pans with a little water in them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have a large and when cooking indirect I use a piece of thin foil across the top of the platesetter and extend it past the edge of the egg as a probe cable protector. I know it changes the heat flow from below somewhat, but this works for me?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The idea of the platesetter is to block radiant heat. If you use any kind of drip pan space it off the platesetter so the drippings don't burn and create off flavours.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bocaboy2591
    bocaboy2591 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to start with the aluminum foil over the plate setter and see how it goes.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you keep the foil within the boundaries of the plate setter then I don't think you are really changing anything.  Perhaps you are blocking a little more heat with the foil but I don't think enough to matter, plus I think the idea is to block the direct heat anyway. 

If you extend it past the plate setter then you are creating a larger indirect area, but like Charlie I think this is a good thing especially if you are cooking something like ribs or several butts where the meat is hanging over.  

I don't know why the plate setter has such big openings to be honest.  There was a post about using the kamodo joe deflector that has much more coverage and people say it works better. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bocaboy2591
    Options
    Perhaps you are blocking a little more heat with the foil but I don't think enough to matter, plus I think the idea is to block the direct heat anyway. 

Well, the idea of the plate setter is to generate radiant heat without direct exposure to the pit. The foil has to affect the heat radiation somewhat which is why I was asking if anyone did it on a regular basis.

The argument for using foil is that cleaning the plate setter is a PITA and uses a half load of charcoal to get the BGE hot enough where the gunk is burned off.

I think the only way for me to get a definitive answer is to try a rack of ribs or a butt and see how it cooks. My guess is the difference is minimal with foil, and a bit more pronounced with using a throw-away pan.

Thanks for the thoughts, Smokey! I'll repost after I've had a chance to do a cook.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    This is a typical foil pan that i use.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    The finished product turbo cooked:
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think the platesetter is more of a heat sink or blocker as opposed to a source of radiant. Its possible that foiling the top actually helps reflect some heat back to the meat?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bocaboy2591
    Options
    The finished product turbo cooked:
    Looks delicious, Charlie!
  • bocaboy2591
    Options
    Caliking, you may be right that the foil actually reflects the heat back up, but aluminum is a lousy conductor of heat. That's why you can take foil and touch it just a couple minutes after it's out of the oven as opposed to the material that the BGE is made from which holds and radiates heat.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I cover my platesetter all the time. Only my legs are black. The rest is like the day she was bought.
  • bocaboy2591
    Options
    Hondabbq, lol! That day is long gone for my plate setter! I keep it clean by the method I described above, but I'm going to start using foil and see if it makes any difference in cook times or the final results. I'm off to a wedding this weekend, but ribs are on the menu as soon as I return!