Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to Start Stocking Up on Lump

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
It's getting close to hurricane season again, so I took advantage of a sale Walmart has on 17.62 lb. bags of Royal Oak lump. It isn't near as good as the deals I've seen on here lately, but at $10.00 a bag it's the best price I've seen around here in quite a while. I bought every bag they had and they even let me buy four bags of 8.8 lb. lump for $20.00. I'm going to hit another Walmart tomorrow to see if they still have some more, because 200 lbs. of lump just isn't going to cut it now that I've gotten the hang of cooking on the BGE. :P

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I have been fighting going and buying some of this lump at that price but I will probably have to. Does the sale extend to Friday?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Parallel
    I'm not sure... when I went into the store the sale price was nowhere to be seen, so I ask the associate to scan a bag for me and it came up as the sale price of $10.00 a bag, so I said I'll take all you have. They looked at me like I was crazy, then when I ask if they had any in the back they REALLY thought I was off my rocker.

• Parallel
    Now I have to find a place to store it where it's not in my way (not to mention make room for more if I can get it).

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Walmart ad said "on sale thru Sunday the 26th"??  Might call the store and save yourself a trip??
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Not on sale at Wal Mart in Fla... This is 17.6 lb bag
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Parallel
    Not on sale at Wal Mart in Fla... This is 17.6 lb bag
    That's the same sign they had displayed in our store... have them scan it.

• I bought 6 17.6lb bags locally here in Tampa last weekend.  When I saw the price ring up at $10, I went and grabbed 5 more :D
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Tractor Supply has it in north Alabama for 11.99.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I found the 20 lb Blue RO on sale a few weeks ago for $9.99. I sure got some funny looks when I filled up the cart with 10 bags. I wanted more but SWMBO said I was crazy.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I was told sale was through end of may. But who knows.

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I bought some to here in Atlanta, They had a bunch sitting in the isle $10 for 17+ lbs
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Fortoday
    Fortoday Posts: 94
    Looks like YOU have plenty of storage for lump.
  • Fortoday
    Fortoday Posts: 94

..That would be your upper lip.

Im stocking up on Wicked Good, i hate Royal Oak like a cuban hates a cigerette

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013

Costcos in my area are selling Basques Natures Own again. It's 12 bucks for 8 Kg here. I know that they had it in quite a few American stores last year at a much lower price. Green and white bag with a loon on the front. This is all sugar maple and one of the best lumps I've ever tried. If you see it in your area don't be afraid to pick it up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Little_StevenI'm going to have to check that out at the Costco's we go to up in Newmarket. Where's the Costco that you got yours at?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I just went to Walmart in Riverhead NY and it was on shelf for $12.97 when I brought it up to cash register it rang up at $10.00 

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013

I think my wife saw it in Newmarket. I am between Hwy 10 and Airport Rd. just south of Hwy 9 so Newmarket is where she goes most often.

I just picked up 25 bags of Maple Leaf at the distributor so I'm all set. Still like the ML best.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    When Menards has the green RO on sale I usually roll out with about 30 bags. Usually gets me through until Nov or Dec and lots of looks when I get to the checkout. I tried to buy a whole pallet they just offloaded from the truck and they wouldn't budge on the price so I told them I would wait to the next 11% sale since they limit the rebate on 4 bags and would come down on bulk
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    I was going to stock up on some Wicked Good. Any reason not to? \:D/
  • bezdecr
    bezdecr Posts: 31
    I bought some in KC today for $10.
  • Parallel
    edited May 2013
    jetmech said:
    When Menards has the green RO on sale I usually roll out with about 30 bags. Usually gets me through until Nov or Dec and lots of looks when I get to the checkout. I tried to buy a whole pallet they just offloaded from the truck and they wouldn't budge on the price so I told them I would wait to the next 11% sale since they limit the rebate on 4 bags and would come down on bulk
    Man... I would too if I would have has a Manards close when people were posting about getting 8.8 lb bags for $2.50 after rebate.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... seeing as how I can't fit what I have on top of these three cabinets, I'll have to see about the possibility of putting even more where the excess bags are now (top shelf by the garage door) and cover them so they don't get damp. This means I can either go get more now (which I'm considering) or wait for one of the sales like the Manards.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I bought some RO last week and each bag was tagged $ 12. 97, but scanned for $ 10.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I got some today at 10 as well.Nice to stock up for a zombie day.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Vetteman
    Vetteman Posts: 19
    If you are near a restaurant depot they have the RO 17.6 lb bag for $8.99.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Aviator said:

I got some today at 10 as well.Nice to stock up for a zombie day.

Would you do zombie indirect or raised direct?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Direct and nuke em baby!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.