Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our own Travis

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Thank you for your service, Travis.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @travisstrick You are one hell of a man. A true American soldier. I thank you and salute you my brother for what you have done and continue to do.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Strong work, SSG. Outstanding !

If ever our paths cross, lets quench some thirst.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Thank you, Mickey. You are a true friend and I'm glad to know you. 

Thanks everyone else too. You guys have found the one thing in the world that makes me uncomfortable. I don't mind people knowing what I do for a living but the thanks part is hard to respond to. It seems so misplaced when there are so many among us who had no choice but to serve. Thanks all the same. 
    Ha, I pick up the tab for Warfighters when I spot them in airport restaurants I pass through.  Suck it up and live with it.

Seriously, if you are uncomfortable with thanks directed at you, just consider yourself the point man for all those that went before.

Hooah

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Can we pin an 'Egg medal' on him?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've been on the receiving end of the folded flag.  Thank you for your service.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    I do remember at my dads funeral my mother took the flag and promptly handed it to me.  She was greatful to the soldier but angry that my father died.  She told me that she didn't want the flag because of the memories of my dad.  It was promply put in a triangle display box and has been proudly displayed in my home for 20 years.  Travis, you are a Rock Star.  I would salute you but I don't think I can since I have never been in the military.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited May 2013
    Suck it up and live with it.

Seriously, if you are uncomfortable with thanks directed at you, just consider yourself the point man for all those that went before.

Hooah
    Hooah, yourself, sir.  I was a soldier before him during the Viet Nam War.  Although we got no thanks for our service, I would have also felt uncomfortable with the over-the-top outpouring of affection.  Travis' point is that it is his chosen profession, and the accolades are not necessary.

Well I hope you recognized the smiling smirk on my face and the wink in my eye.  When you get get a thanks, a hand shake, or a pat on the shoulder you're accepting if not only for yourself, but for the all the other Warfighters.

Those of us not at the tip of the spear hope it makes you feel better, but at least saying thanks makes us feel better.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Travis, if our paths ever cross it's all on me. Beer, whiskey, brisket etc. Thank you for your service. If you think that people saying thank you is awkward, get used to it. You deserve it until someone hands a folded flag to your loved ones at the end of this journey.  Nice work.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    THANK YOU!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Receiving the flag at my Dad's funeral (a20 year Navy Vet) was one of the most emotional moments in my life. Thank you for your service Travis.
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Tremendous respect for you Travis and a big thank you for your service.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Right on Travis. Don't know ya from Adam, and it ain't worth a tinker's damn, but you have my deepest respect, sir.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Good for you Travis - at the same time I know you are ready to get back to the woods and off Red Cycle!
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Sir, from my family in the Canadian Forces past and present, to you, heartfelt gratitude and respect for putting yourself in danger's way.  Your service, not only to our nations, but to the family that day; will never be forgotten.

'If you can't stand behind a soldier, try standing in front of one."

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Travis, thank you for your service. That surely must be an very difficult thing to do but it is an incredible thing that you are able to do to honor your fallen brothers. Know that the families of those who have paid the ultimate price appreciate what you do. As others have said, there is no need to feel uncomfortable, you chose to step up to serve and protect your county and we deeply, truly appreciate what you and all the servicemen and women do.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Salute sir! Even if we do it a little different

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
     I never made the connection until now. I attended a funeral at the Texas State Cemetery for a friend who was a brother and a veteran. You and your team were there. The ceremony was well done and was appreciated by all of us who were present. Thanks for the love and respect shown for my friend.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Hooah, SSG!  11M is great.  Blackjack Brigade 1-5 CAV, 95-98.  I saw some AASLT wings too.  Rakkasan!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Too many "Sir"s on this thread.  Watch out, he works for a livin' and may just go James Brown arrest attitude on y'all
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited May 2013
    thetrim said:

Hooah, SSG!  11M is great.  Blackjack Brigade 1-5 CAV, 95-98.  I saw some AASLT wings too.  Rakkasan!

I knew I liked you. 11b here but hell, we're all in the same gang.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Necessary or not, my heartfelt gratitude to you Travis
    That service cannot be easy and any gratitude you receive is well deserved
    Thank you
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Thank you for your service Travis, it takes a special person.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Thanks for your service. HOOOOOOOAH!!

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    caliking said:
    Travis - I read the article, and reading the words that are said to the family of the veteran made a chill run down my spine. I can only imagine what it must be like for you and your comrades to perform these rites, and hope that the families feel some comfort in their grief, from the respect you pay to their honored loved one. 
    +1 Well said

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    To Travis and all the others who do this day in day out, a big thank you.  I have also received a flag and at that time your in a different place, looking back now I don't recall saying thank you.  
    So thank you to all those men and women in the service who are doing this for our freedom.

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Thank you for your service Travis.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Travis you are da man!  Thank you for all you do and have done for us, on this forum and off!  My hat's off to you sir!  I have that folded flag from my father's funeral in 1998.  It was a special element of his service, and my Mom cherished it until she passed, now it is displayed in my home.  He was Navy Seaman First Class, WWII, South Pacific, Destroyer USS Weddeburn in the company of the USS Yorktown!  He never liked to talk about it much, I imagine it was hell doing all the island hopping and living in a floating steel fortress in 100 plus degree heat for months on end!  Many Thanks again to you and those who do what you do!