Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our own Travis

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
No way Travis would ever put this out himself. This was in yesterday's paper. Take notice of that left chest. Oh, that and he is fully dressed. http://kdhnews.com/gallery/news/honor-guard-soldiers-for-funerals/image_04dca5a4-c4a9-11e2-9f48-001a4bcf6878.html
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Thank you for your service Travis.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mickey
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I salute you, sir.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Thank you Travis...

Surely a difficult task, even though it is only a few moments of your "normal" duty, it is certainly an act that sticks with the loved ones at the service forever
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options

Thank you for your service, sir.  My grandfather was buried with military honors about 25 years ago and that is still my most vivid memory from his funeral.  It sticks with the family and is truly touching!!

Thank you and God Bless!

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Travis...good stuff right there bro. I know it's difficult, but you're doing a great thing for the family. Proud of you man.

I've only been to one veteran's funeral and I was so impressed with the job they did. It was raining that day and one solider was right at the edge of the canopy and the water was steadily trickling on his face throughout. His focus was never broken and he did his job amazingly well. It was an honor to see and my wife's grandmother was very grateful for the job they did!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Options
    Well there was 6 posts before cazzy busted the mood of this. Four more than I thought. That is why I love this forum.

• cazzy
    Options
    Mickey said:

Well there was 6 posts before cazzy busted the mood of this. Four more than I thought. That is why I love this forum.

Sometimes I just can't help myself. b-(

I'm actually surprised VI didn't beat me to it.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Thank you Travis. a honor guard presented the flag to my mother at my fathers funeral 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Good man Travis, I couldn't do what you do and thank you for doing it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Sometimes I just can't help myself. b-( I'm actually surprised VI didn't beat me to it.
    Even I have ethics, integrity, and honor, Cazzy.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    Options

cazzy said:

Mickey said:

Sometimes I just can't help myself. b-(

I'm actually surprised VI didn't beat me to it.

Even I have ethics, integrity, and honor, Cazzy.

Yeah...now even feel more like a jerk. Thanks Gary! :P
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You know how much I respect what you dobut especially what you did in the sand. With that being said, if I could, I'd photoshop a brisket in your hands.

Hats off to you. You're the man.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Looking good Travis. Thank you for your service. During my shore duty in the Navy I had the Honor of scheduling The Navy Honor Guard and Color Guard. We did about 300 or so events a year. They would travel up 100 miles away from Cecil Field, FL. I also had the privilege of participating in several burials at sea. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Village Idiot
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Yeah...now even feel more like a jerk. Thanks Gary! :P
    Gosh, Cazzy.  Since you're my friend, I didn't mention compassion, empathy, and understanding.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Travis.....I salute you.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Thank you Travis!  That's sounds so inadequate, but words that convey my feelings escape me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Options
    Thank you very much for your service Travis!!
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Hooah.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Mickey, thanks for sharing with us and Travis, proud to know you through the web,
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    I salute you, My son is an E8 in the Air Force (EOD) He just buried one of his own men at Andersonville Ga.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Travis - I read the article, and reading the words that are said to the family of the veteran made a chill run down my spine. I can only imagine what it must be like for you and your comrades to perform these rites, and hope that the families feel some comfort in their grief, from the respect you pay to their honored loved one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Travis thanks for your service and I agree with you in the article about this job being important. The family and friends will have a lasting memory of their loved ones funeral because of what you do. Hats off.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Thank you, and no need to be uncomfortable, much respect and thanks for your service and for providing comfort to families in their great time of need!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD