Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mangrate vs Lodge Cast Iron Griddle

Any opinions on whether the Mangrate is worth the cost? I have a Lodge cast iron reversible griddle that I use for steaks or small stuff or use the smooth side for pancakes and such. I heard about the Mangrate but it looks similar except for the holes in it. If there's something to be gained by the holes I can always drill some in the griddle. Heck, I could get another griddle and still not spend the $$ for a Mangrate.
Thanks.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    You are new here. Welcome to the forum and KEEP your Lodge.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited May 2013
    Mangrates are the Chuck Norris of BGE accessories. The Mangrates will decide and inform you when you need one.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Here we go again.   ~X(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Keep you griddle and welcome to the cult.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    Were Mangrates the first group buy?
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Damn... Is boomer back? Just kidding john... Search mangrate review. Long story. I do have a set I'll give you... A "little rusty".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Haws72688 said:
    Were Mangrates the first group buy?
    Mangrates invented the group buy.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    JohnH12 please just close your eyes and cut off your computer. They are not directing/laughing at you. It all has to do with Mangrates and how well they are thought of. After this post dies ( it will ) please give us another chance, we are worth it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have a set. Only pee'd on them once. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey

John meet Travis, he marks everything :ar!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Was this before or after the raw beef?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Here we go again.   ~X(
    AAARRRRGGGHHHH!
    [-O<

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    henapple said:
    Damn... Is boomer back? Just kidding john... Search mangrate review. Long story. I do have a set I'll give you... A "little rusty".
    Now John, henapple did not pee on his (jury still out to see if Travis got to them).

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Chuck Norris is afraid of Mangrates.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a similar griddle and I like it.  I use it for a reverse sear for steaks, described here:

To be fair- I think the mangrates wold have an advantage in that they would let the grease drip through and act more like a traditional grid; but for the price of mangrates I would just consider the BGE cast iron grid and get full coverage. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    God created Mangrates on the 8th day. Mangrates was Noah's Ark, made from unicorn horns.

Most of us are not worthy.
  • henapple
    John, seriously (and I don't go there often)... It's a running joke about someone who got on the forum trying to sell something. Hope we didn't run you off. Honest question. Stay away from the mangrate.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

:)=)) >:)

I love it. Needed a smile after reading the WGWW thread.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The useful part has been said, i.e. keep the Lodge. Now get the popcorn, pull up a chair and be entertained. Mangrates bring out the best in this forum. Its damn near Pavlovian :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2013
    I heard that if you have a mangrate Wicked Good will send you free lump and Lee Ann will send you a nice note to thank you for using their product.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    I heard that if you have a mangrate Wicked Good will send you free lump and Lee Ann will send you a nice note to thank you for using their product.

:))
  • One of them is an overpriced rusty piece of crap and the other is a lodge cast iron. Review over.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Mangrates the Magician, turning chuck steak into Kobe steak 2 inches thick.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Aviator
    EggRacer said:
    Mangrates the Magician, turning chuck steak into Kobe steak 2 inches thick.

One steak at a time.

Chattanooga, TN.

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Wow! Talk a bout kicking a hornet's nest! I guess I should have tried a search before I asked.
    Lots of other great info here though. I've read the board for about a year but only recently joined. I don't post much but prefer to defer any comments to the experts.
    BTW: I'm pretty sure I'm beyond any thin skin. After 30 years in the Navy I've probably seen and heard most every form of sarcasm known to man and beast.
    Y'all keep cookin' and I'll keep on readin'.
  • Aviator

@John, these comments were not directed to you at all. Please do not be offended. We here are paper tigers. We snarl and growl in bitts and bytes only. :D

Mangrates has a history here, and has been the object of countless hours and days of fun. You just invoked the response again.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    =))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• henapple
    JohnH12 said:

Wow! Talk a bout kicking a hornet's nest! I guess I should have tried a search before I asked.
    Lots of other great info here though. I've read the board for about a year but only recently joined. I don't post much but prefer to defer any comments to the experts.
    BTW: I'm pretty sure I'm beyond any thin skin. After 30 years in the Navy I've probably seen and heard most every form of sarcasm known to man and beast.
    Y'all keep cookin' and I'll keep on readin'.

Stay in here and post some cooks... The more the merrier